HOLIDAY, Cape May, NJ – 1975  Captain Ron Robbins' "HOLIDAY" from Cape May, NJ circa 1975.   She was built in 1975 by East Bay Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC and specialized in Delaware Bay Weakfishing.   She later became Captain Jack Endean's "HOLIDAY" from Point Pleasant, NJ and after that, became Captain Al Coley's "BETTY W III" from Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn, NY.  In 1986 she was sold to Captain Marty Haines Jr. and became the "SEA PIGEON IV" from Perth Amboy, NJ.   In 2007, she became Captains Tim and Lauren Griffith's MIDDLEBANK II and sails from Bridgeport, CT.  HOLIDAY, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  Captain Jack Endean's "HOLIDAY" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.   Built in 1974 by Lydia Yachts at Stuart, FL, she later became Captain Bill Van Wetering's "CAPT. BILL VAN" from Belmar, NJ.   She then sailed as the "PORT JEFF ACE" from Port Jefferson, NY and returned to New Jersey in 1993 as Captain John Connell's "CAPTAIN JOHN" from Keyport, NJ.   She is presently sailing from Chesapeake Beach, MD as the "LADY HOOKER".  KLONDIKE VI, New Rochelle, NY – 1975  Captain Pete Pearson's "KLONDIKE VI" is shown here in 1975 shortly after being launched by her builder, Lydia Yachts.   The "KLONDIKE VI" sailed from New Rochelle, New York and specialized in fishing on Long Island Sound.   In 1979, Captain Pearson sold her, and the boat was relocated to Honduras; her present fate is unknown.  MISS POINT PLEASANT II, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  The "MISS POINT PLEASANT II" sailed from Ken's Landing at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and was built in 1957 by Stowman Shipyards at Dorchester, NJ.   Sailing schedule and fare advertisements painted on the hull were a trademark of party boats sailing from the Manasquan Inlet and this technique worked well as they drifted along the crowded beaches and plied the inlet before the many tourists and onlookers.  NORMA-K II, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  Captain Ken Keller's "NORMA-K II" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.   The "NORMA-K II" was built in 1964 by Deebold Boatworks, Atlantic City, NJ.   She is owned and operated by Captain Ken Keller and is the only Deebold party boat to retain her original name.   She is still an active boat in the NORMA-K fleet. 
PIPER, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  The "PIPER" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.   Built in 1961 by Gillikin Boat Works, at Harkers Island, NC, she first sailed as Captain Frank Green's "QUEEN MARY".   Captain Green passed away in 1963 and Captain Harvey Brown purchased the boat.   He didn't change her name, but he relocated the "QUEEN MARY" to Spike's Fishery Dock at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.   In 1974, Captain 'Blacky' Walsh bought the boat and renamed her "PIPER".   A few years later, the boat was purchased by Captain Fred Kern and sailed from Belmar, NJ as the "SPRAY II".   In 1982, Captain Hal Hagaman purchased the boat and sailed her as the "SEA TIGER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ until the spring of 2004.   She then sailed as Captain Richie Moore's "MISS MOORE" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ and then sailed as the "A.C. LADY" from Atlantic City, NJ.   The vessel is now sailing as Captain Stewart Cash's "OSPREY IV" from Port Jefferson, NY.   Photo Courtesy of Cathy and 'Blacky' Walsh.  SHAMROCK, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  Captain 'Jack' Bogan's "SHAMROCK" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.  Sutton Boat Works built this steel-hulled vessel in 1966 at Tarpon Springs, FL and she first sailed as the "CAPT. BILL II".   Sold in 1984 she relocated to Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY and sailed under the same name.   The federal government confiscated the "SHAMROCK" in 1985 and later sold her at auction.   She is has since been completely remodeled and is presently sailing on the St. Croix River as the dinner cruise vessel "AFTON PRINCESS" from Afton, MN.   Photo Courtesy of Captain 'Jack' Bogan Sr.  SHY POKE, Belmar, NJ – 1975  Captain Bryan Elsey's charter boat "SHY POKE" from Belmar, NJ circa 1975.   The "SHY POKE" was built in 1956 at Rock Hall, MD and was originally owned by Captain Bill Guenther. : Belmar  SUPER CAT, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1975  Captain Charlie Fossani's "SUPER CAT" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ circa 1975.   This 90-foot aluminum catamaran was built in 1972 by Monark Custom Craft at Jeanerette, LA and later became Captain Sinn's "BIG FLAMINGO" from Wildwood Crest, NJ where she specialized in sightseeing trips.   She is currently sailing as the party fishing boat "SUPER QUEEN" from Clearwater Beach, FL.  SUPER SPRAY II, Belmar, NJ – 1975  Captain Fred Kern’s "SUPER SPRAY II" from Belmar, NJ circa 1975.   Built in 1974 by Gulf Craft at Patterson, LA, she was one of several "Super Cruisers" that joined the New York / New Jersey party boat fleet in the early to mid–1970s.   Unlike the other 77-foot party boats constructed by Gulf Craft during this era, her deck was built lower to the water to enhance her mainstay business of drifting for Fluke.   Her low profile made her look much wider than her counterparts.   Photo courtesy of the Kern Family. : Belmar 
ALOMA, Freeport, NY –1976  Captain George Schmidt's "ALOMA" from Freeport, NY circa 1976.   She was built in 1958 at St. Augustine, FL and first sailed as the "CAPT. OLE".   In 1959, the "ALOMA" was sold to Captain John Sheehan and became his "MISS PECONIC II" and sailed from Greenport, NY.   In 1967, she was relocated to Freeport, NY as the "VIKING SKIPPER".   She was then sold in 1974 and became the "ALOMA" under the command of Captain John Grimley.   She later relocated to Wildwood, NJ as Captain Charlie Selby's "RAINBOW" and then relocated to Miami FL, as the "SEA KING II".   She was dismantled in1990.   Photo courtesy of Paul Schmidt. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia, People  BIG MARIE-S, Belmar, NJ – 1976  The "BIG MARIE-S" was originally built by Deebold Boatworks, Atlantic City, NJ in 1965 as the "JO ANN IV" and sailed from Bahr's Landing, Highlands, NJ.   She was later purchased by Captain Walter Siegler and became his "BIG-MARIE-S" from Belmar, NJ.   She later became the large charter boat "AMERICAN EAGLE" and was skippered by Captains Hank Leonard and Mark Campbell.  On February 29, 2004, the "AMERICAN EAGLE" entered Manasquan Inlet and lost her steering.   She struck the jetty inside the inlet and began taking on water.   She was towed to shallow water where she later sank.   The vessel was dismantled a few days later. : Belmar  BIG MOHAWK II, Brooklyn, NY – 1976  Owned and operated by partners Tony 'Mo' Barbato and Dan Kenny, the "BIG MOHAWK II" sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   In the photo, she is sailing in upper New York harbor during the July 4, 1976 Bicentennial celebration watching the parade of tall ships.     Atlantic City Boat Works built the vessel in 1962 as the "CAPTAIN STARN III".   Captains Tony and Dan purchased her in 1976 and she became the "BIG MOHAWK II".   Later, she was sold to Captains Marty Tave and Gary Fagan who sailed her from Belmar, NJ under the same "BIG MOHAWK II" name.   She later became the "ISLAND PRINCESS" from Captree, NY and has since found her way back to Belmar, NJ, where she is now sailing as Captain Chris Hueth's "BIG MOHAWK".   Photo courtesy of Captain Tony "Mo" Barbato.  RANGER V, Brooklyn, NY – 1976  Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER V" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1976.   Built in 1975 by Derecktor Shipyards at Mamaroneck, NY, she was the largest party boat to sail from Sheepshead Bay at the time.   She was sold in 1981 and relocated to Texas, and then later sailed from Madeira Beach, Florida.   She is currently sailing in the Caribbean near the Turks and Caicos region.   Photo courtesy of Captain Norm Mordaunt.  STARLIGHT, Wildwood, NJ – 1976  The "STARLIGHT" from Wildwood, NJ circa 1976.   Built in 1965 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC, she originally sailed as Captain Ted Bower's "BLUE SEA I" from Riviera Beach, FL.   She later sailed as the "CAPT. SANDY II" and then as the "STARLIGHT".   She was later sold and remodeled and became Captain Fred Robert's "YANKEE III" from Captree, NY. 
ATLANTIS, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1977  The "ATLANTIS" from Broadway Basin at Point Pleasant, NJ as she appeared in 1977.   Built in 1955 by Stowman Shipyards at Dorchester, NJ as the "PARAMOUNT", she was powered by two GM 110 diesel engines and was the first party fishing boat in New Jersey equipped with radar.   She was later renamed the "PARAMOUNT II" and then remodeled (her wheelhouse was relocated topside) and renamed the "MARINER".   She was sold to Captain Fred Bird from Montauk, NY shortly after this photo was taken.  Captain Fred remodeled her again and renamed her the "FLYING CLOUD".   She still sails from Montauk today and specializes in Fluke fishing during the summer and Porgy fishing during the off-season.   Photo courtesy of Captain Michael Rathgeber.  BETTY W II, Brooklyn, NY – 1977  The "BETTY W II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1977.   The "BETTY W II" was built in 1959 for Captain Ken Wright by the Scott McBurney Boat Yard at Brooklyn, NY.   Captain Ken's first mate, the well-known Captain Al Coley, took over the business from his mentor and continued to operate the vessel from Sheepshead Bay.   Sold in 1983, she became the "SUNSHINE III" from Sheepshead Bay.   She ran aground near Rockaway Inlet in 1987 and was dismantled.   Photo courtesy of John Cairns.  DAUNTLESS II, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1977  The "DAUNTLESS II" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1977.   She was built in 1958 by Stowman Shipyards at Dorchester, NJ as Captain James Bogan Sr.'s fourth "PARAMOUNT".    She then sailed as the "DAUNTLESS II" before becoming Francis Bogan's "ATLANTIS" from Brielle, NJ, and then as Jack Endean's fifth "HOLIDAY" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, and then as Rudy Frenville Jr.'s "DUCHESS" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, and then as Marc Brent's "FRIENDSHIP II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Alas, the boat burned at the dock in 1986 and was a total loss. : 2015, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  RANGER V, Brooklyn, NY – 1977  The "RANGER V" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1977.   Built in 1975 by Derecktor Shipyards at Mamaroneck, NY, she was owned and operated by Captain Mike Scarpati.   The "RANGER V" was the largest party boat to sail from Sheepshead Bay at the time.   She was sold in 1981 and relocated to Texas, and later sailed from Madeira Beach, Florida.   She is currently operating in the Caribbean Islands near the Turks and Caicos region.   Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.  SEA FOAM IV, Atlantic City, NJ – 1977  Captains Al and Don Brown's "SEA FOAM IV" from Atlantic City, New Jersey.   Stowman Shipyards built her in 1956 at Dorchester, New Jersey.   Sold in 1980, she became Captain Mike Danon's "CAPT. LOU III" from Freeport, New York.   She later sailed as the "CAPT. BOB II" and then as the "PHILOMENA".   She has since been dismantled.   Photo courtesy of Don Nyce. 
YANKEE SWORD, Belmar, NJ – 1977  Captain William Hammarstrom built this vessel in 1967 at Waretown, NJ as his "CAROLYN ANN II".   He later sold the boat to Captain Arnold Boardman, who sailed her from Belmar, NJ as the "YANKEE SWORD".   Captain Boardman then sold the boat to Captain Hank Leonard who continued to sail her under the "YANKEE SWORD" name.   She was later sold and became Captain Bob Nash's "OUTLAW" from Belmar, NJ.   Photo Courtesy of Ken Boardman. : Belmar  ATLANTIS, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1978  The "ATLANTIS" sailed from Broadway Basin at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and she was owned by the Bogan Family.   Stowman Shipyards of Dorchester, NJ built her in 1957, and she originally sailed as the "JAMAICA".   Over the next 20 years, she would skip around the Bogan Fleet sailing as the "DAUNTLESS" and then as Captain Francis Bogan's "ATLANTIS".    She was later sold and remodeled and is presently sailing as the "SEA STAR II" from Cape May, NJ.  CAPT. JOSEPH II, Captree, NY – 1978  The "CAPT. JOSEPH II" was built in 1970 by Outer Banks Boatworks and originally sailed as the "CAPT. JOSEPH IV", before Captain Bob Joseph renamed her the "CAPT. JOSEPH II". She is the second largest party boat built by James Gillikin.   Afterwards, she sailed as the "ST. ANTHONY", the "RANGER", the "CAP'N ANDY II", and is presently sailing as Captain Captain Paul Risi's "TRADEWINDS II".  DIXIE, Brooklyn, NY – 1978  Captain Irving Moss' party boat "DIXIE" circa 1978.   Built in 1934 by the Scott McBurney Boat Yard at Brooklyn, NY as the "SEA PIGEON II", she was later sold in 1945 to William 'Willy' Sutherland, and then to 'Heckey' Sakstein.   In 1967, Captain Sakstein sold her to Captain Moss who remodeled her and renamed her the "DIXIE" (you can still see her skipjack-style hull and shear.)   In 1982, Captain Ed Laske purchased the "DIXIE" and brought her to Captree, NY as a charter boat.   He ran the boat for a few years until his business outgrew the boat and sold it.   Afterwards, Captain Laske purchased what was the last "CHOPPER" and named it the "DIXIE II".   Photo Courtesy of Captain Ron Moss.  QUEEN MARY, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1978  The "QUEEN MARY" from Point Pleasant, NJ circa 1978.   James Gillikin at Gillikin Craft Inc., Beaufort, NC built her in 1972 as the "DEEP BLUE".   Captain Harvey Brown purchased the boat in 1973 and renamed her the "QUEEN MARY".   She sailed from Spike's Fishery Dock, Point Pleasant, NJ until sold again and renamed the "STARLIGHT" from Wildwood, NJ.   On May 5, 1992, she was returning to Wildwood, NJ after spending the winter in the Florida Keys, encountered very rough weather, and sank off the coast of Maryland.   Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr. 
RAINBOW, Brooklyn, NY – 1978  Captain Tony Franklin's "RAINBOW" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1978.  The "Rainbow" was one of several converted World War II military surplus vessels that operated as party boats for several decades.   Built in 1942 as the Air-Sea Rescue vessel "AVR-C-9442" at Miami, FL, she was sold as surplus in 1949 and soon after, sailed as the "SEA WOLF" from Bedford, MA.   In 1952, Captain Franklin purchased the boat and began sailing from Sheepshead Bay.  SHAMROCK, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1978  Captain Jack Bogan's and Captain John Bogan Jr's "SHAMROCK" from Point Pleasant, NJ circa 1978.   The "SHAMROCK" specialized in drifting along the Jersey shore for jumbo Fluke during the summer months and bottom fished during the off-season.   Sutton Boat Works built this steel hulled vessel in 1966 at Tarpon Springs, FL as the "CAPT. BILL II".   She later sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY under the same name.   The "SHAMROCK" was confiscated by the federal government in 1985 and sold at auction.   Photo Courtesy of Captain Jack Bogan.  SEA WOLF, Brooklyn, NY – 1978  Captain Ed Moraski's "SEA WOLF" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1978.   She was built in 1949 at North Wildwood, NJ and was originally owned by Captain John Heiser.   The "SEA WOLF" specialized in bottom fishing during her fishing career, which ended in1988 when she was dismantled.  TRAVELER, Brooklyn, NY – 1978  This 1978 photo shows Captain Gerry Nappi's "TRAVELER" just before being launched at Yank Boat Works, Tuckahoe, NJ.   Captain Nappi sailed the "TRAVELER" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY until he sold her and she became the "CAPT. BOB JOSEPH" from Captree, NY.   She was sold again and became Captain Joe Miller's "ATOMIC III" from Sheepshead Bay.  The boat later became Captain Al Coley's "BETTY W" from Sheepshead Bay and then moved back to Captree, NY as Captain Patrick Gillen's "CAPT. GILLEN III".   She then sailed as Captain Charlie Buser's "CAPTREE STAR II" from Captree, NY, and is currently sailing as Captain Des O'Sullivan's "CELTIC QUEST IV" from Port Jefferson, NY.   Photo courtesy of Captain Gerry Nappi.  WHITE STAR III, Barnegat Light, NJ – 1978  The port bow section of Captain Ray Ettel's "WHITE STAR III" takes shape in 1978 at East Bay Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC.   The "WHITE STAR III" sailed from Barnegat Light, NJ and later sailed as Captain Ray Burke's "OPTIMIST STAR", from Belmar, NJ.   She now sails as the "MAGNUM FORCE" from Monterey, CA.   Photo courtesy of Captain Ray Ettel.