Just Added

Our 13th Annual
HOLIDAY EDITION
2016 Holiday Edition – M.J.R., Brooklyn, New York – 1911  Welcome to the thirteenth Holiday Edition of Mike's Maritime Memorabilia!   Over the years we have posted more than 1,600 vintage photos for all to enjoy and our 2016 Holiday Edition includes twenty-five wonderful photographs of party fishing boats and the men behind them dating from 1911 through 2000.   The photo captions illustrate some of the rich and interesting history that surrounds them and simply put, this is our fishing heritage – enjoy and celebrate it!  Thank you for taking the time to view our fishing trip down memory lane and accept our heartfelt wishes for a Wonderful Holiday Season.   It's our Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes all rolled into one joyous and resounding roar!  The "M.J.R." is seen here at Cliffords & Evans Dock at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY in 1911.   The "M.J.R." was built in 1909 at Brooklyn, NY for Martin J. Rouche, who operated the "MJR Restaurant" on nearby Emmons Avenue and it was one of the earliest party boats to sail from Sheepshead Bay.   The photo portrays folks getting ready for a private charter, and given their nice clothing and expensive bowler hats, they are a well-heeled group.   Four of them also have their own fishing rods (two-piece and carried in cloth bags.)   Captain Henry Corson is jauntily posed in the bow. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – EVELYN, Brooklyn, New York – 1913  Captain "Jake" Martin's "EVELYN" awaits departure from the Martin Bros. Dock at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY in 1913.   The "EVELYN" was built in 1892 as the steam yacht "LINTA".   She was purchased by Captain Martin in 1911 and was converted to a party fishing boat in 1912 making her the first steam yacht to fish as a party boat from Sheepshead Bay. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – FISHER, Brooklyn, New York – 1933  The "FISHER", skippered by Captain Frank Swartzbach, is seen here pulling into her pier along Sheepshead Bay's Emmons Avenue in July of 1933.   In the background is Captain Joe Moravec's "COMANCHE II".   The "FISHER" was built in 1927 at Brooklyn, NY and at the time she was the largest vessel from Sheepshead Bay built specifically for party boat fishing.   In 1949, she was sold to Captain Jackie Michaels and she continued to sail from Sheepshead Bay as his "AMERICA".   She later sailed for one season as Captain Walter Zirkle's "BROOKLYN" and later as Captains "Red" Tanfield and Jerry Nappi's "CAPT. RED". : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – PILOT II, Brooklyn, New York – 1933  Captain Harry Phillip's "PILOT II" is seen here alongside her pier at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY after returning from a daily fishing trip in July of 1933.  In the late 19th century and early 20th century, men and women often wore hats when out of doors, even on a fishing trip.   For men, the 'skimmer' or 'boater' straw hat was the formal hat for summer wear.   So it was correctly worn either with a blazer or a suit plus a shirt with necktie, ascot or bow tie.   Informal men's summer garb included hats such as Fedoras, flat caps and "Charlie Chan" Optimo Panama hats with anything from coveralls to long sleeved shirts and slacks with cuffs and creases.  For women, large hats with wide brims and broad hats with face-shadowing brims were the norm year-round, but they also wore skimmers in the summer.   Tunic blouses and full skirts with a loose and softly defined waistline or full length, long-sleeved dresses with V-neck necklines were the go-to summer garb of the time.   At the time, there was a civility and graciousness to life and when you went out and about, you dressed up. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – ATLANTIC, Freeport, New York – 1935  Captain Abraham "Abe" Stenzel and Captain Thomas Carman's "ATLANTIC" from Freeport, New York.   She was built in 1934 at Brookhaven, NY and was what boatmen at the time commonly referred to as a "sailing hull' style party boat.   She was sold in 1952 to Captain Carl Forsberg who continued to sail her under the "ATLANTIC" name from Montauk, NY.   At the time, the "ATLANTIC" was the only vessel in the Viking Fleet not to bear a VIKING name (she was finally renamed as the "VIKING" in 1956.)   In 1962, the boat was sold and relocated to Portland, Maine and continued to sail as the "VIKING".   Her present fate is unknown. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia 
2016 Holiday Edition – TAMBO II Sinker, Brooklyn, New York – 1935  Personalized fishing sinkers such as this were very common aboard party boats during the 1920s and 1930s.   Local divers indicate that these 'old style' sinkers are only found on inshore wrecks and rock structures, which agrees with the facts that boatmen of the era relied on visual shore ranges to locate their wrecks, and that the abundance of fish at the time made it unnecessary to go far offshore.   Sadly, divers collected these types of sinkers from the ocean floor for years and sold them as scrap metal, and very few have survived.   We consider ourselves very lucky to have this sinker from Captain Bill Cronan’s "TAMBO II" that sailed from the Canarsie section of Brooklyn, NY and others like it on display.   Sinker courtesy of Captain and diver Stan Zagleski III of the "ELAINE-B II" from Highlands, NJ. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – VELOCITY, Brooklyn, New York – 1935  Captain Frank Baumann's "VELOCITY" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1935.   Built 1895 at New York, NY as the yacht "RAMBLER", it was later named the "ANNETTE" before becoming the "VELOCITY" in 1907.   She first operated as a party boat in 1912 sailing from Messenger's Pier at Canarsie, Brooklyn under the command of Captain Samuel Leonard.   In 1914, Captain Bill Stephens purchased the "VELOCITY" and continued to sail her from Messenger's Pier until relocating to the vessel to Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn in 1919.  In May 1927, Captain Stephens purchased the luxury yacht "AU REVIOR" as his new vessel and Captain Frank Baumann purchased the "VELOCITY".  The photograph was taken by Staten Islander Percy Loomis Sperr (1890-1964), who was known as the "Official Photographer for the City of New York."   Beginning in 1924, he combed the five boroughs, capturing scenes of the city's people, buildings, neighborhoods and waterfronts.   He created more than 30,000 photographs, and his works comprise an amazingly detailed portrait of the City from 1924 through the early 1940s. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – USONA, Bronx, New York – 1936  The "USONA" sailed from the Bronx, New York and is seen here in 1936 heading up the East River as she approaches the Harlem River off Hallets Point.   The Triborough Bridge and the Hell Gate Railroad Bridge can be seen in the background.   At the time, the "USONA" was skippered by Captain Albert Schneider and Captain John Schramn.   She was built in 1917 by the Gibbs Gas Engine Company at Jacksonville, FL as a World War I US Navy Subchaser.   In 1942, she returned to military service when she was designated as the navy coastal patrol vessel "YP-191".   She later sailed as the "SEA QUEEN III" from City Island, Bronx, NY and then sailed from the 23rd Street Pier in Manhattan until 1978.   Her final fate is unknown.   BTW - USONA is an acronym of the United States of North America, a 19th-century name for the United States of America. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – PALACE Sinker, Hoboken, New Jersey – 1945  This "PALACE" sinker dates from the post-World War II era.   At the time, the "PALACE II" and "PALACE III" were operating and this sinker could have been used on either boat.   Sinker courtesy of Captain and diver Stan Zagleski III of the "ELAINE-B II" from Highlands, NJ. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – LENNY, Belmar, New Jersey – 1949  Captain Hank Leonard Sr.'s original "LENNY" from Belmar, NJ circa 1946.   Built in 1926 at Point Pleasant, NJ as the "BESSIE C", she became the "LENNY" in 1945.   She then sailed as Captain Charlie Coe's "FISHERBOY" from Point Pleasant, NJ.   In 1960, Captain Ron Santee purchased the boat and she became his original "FISHERMEN" from Highlands, New Jersey. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia 
2016 Holiday Edition – VIKING VII, Freeport, New York – 1954  Captain Carl Forseberg's "VIKING VII" is seen here on Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York in December of 1954.   She was built 1946 at Deltaville, Virginia.   At the time Carl Forsberg had relocated the Viking Fleet to Montauk, New York, but the "VIKING VII" remained in Freeport under the command of Captain Al Lindroth.   It was aboard this vessel that the famous "Cow Country" cod fishing grounds were fished on a daily basis during the winter seasons.   Captain Lindroth skippered the "VIKING VII" until 1963 when he purchased his first party boat, the "CAPTAIN AL". : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – ESPADA, Marathon, Florida – 1955  Captain Charlie Roesch's "ESPADA" sailing from Marathon Florida circa 1955.   She was built in 1946 by Ernest Fiedler at Brooklyn, New York.   Captain Charlie was originally from New York, sailing his "FLASH II" from Far Rockaway, Queens, NY before relocating to the south. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – Ed McFall's Little Tackle Shop, Cape May, New Jersey – 1960  Ed McFall's Bait and Tackle Shop in Cape May, NJ circa 1960.   Ed's tackle shop was on Route 9 opposite Cape May Marina, now known as South Jersey Fishing Center.   The shop was so small that customers had to stand outside to be waited on across the glass-fronted show cases.   But small as it was, Ed sold a complete line of fishing tackle and bait for trolling and bottom fishing, repaired fishing rods, made and sold custom fishing rods, sold custom-tied rigs, and was an agent for taxidermist A.J. Pfleuger.   As Ed described it, the shop was so small you had to go outside to change your mind.  A personable but salty Irishman with a good sense of humor, Ed was no stranger to long hours and hard work.   Along with a job as a machinist, Ed operated his shop on weekends and in the summers from 1949 until a stroke felled him in 1969 and he was forced to sell the business.   Ed McFall was 86 when he passed away in 1989. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – JESS LU III Advertising Pin, Freeport, New York – 1963  This vintage 1963 advertising pin promotes Captain Jay Porter's "JESS LU III" sailing from Freeport, NY. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – YANKEE Business Card, Bath, Maine – 1965  The “YANKEE” was built in 1946 at Staten Island, NY for Captain Frank Palsgraf who sailed her from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   She was sold in 1964 and relocated to Bath, Maine.   She continues to operate as a cruise vessel from Stockton Springs, Maine. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia 
2016 Holiday Edition – MARLIN III, Montauk, New York – 1966  Captain Dick Rade's brand spanking new "MARLIN III" from Montauk, New York circa 1966.   She was built in 1966 by Machine & Supply Co. (Gillikin) at Beaufort, NC.   She was later sold and renamed the "CAPT. LEITCH IV" from Captree, NY and then as the "MISS GREENPORT".   In 1998, she was sold to Captain Ed Beneducci and he remodeled and renamed her as the "MARLIN VI" from Montauk, NY.   It then sailed as Captain Jeff Gutman's "ANGLER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   The boat then sailed as Captain Dave Paris' "CAPT. DAVE II" from Sheepshead Bay, NY, and then as Captain Keith Williams FIN CHASER II from Montauk, NY.   The boat is now owned by Captain Tim Juettner and is presently named the "NORTH STAR III". : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – Long Branch Fishing Pier Admission Tickets, Long Branch, New Jersey – 1966 : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – Long Branch Fishing Pier, Long Branch, New Jersey – 1970  An aerial view of the Long Branch Fishing Pier circa 1970.    Built in the 1930s, the Long Branch Fishing Pier was a popular destination for local anglers and produced significant catches all year long until the demise of the whiting fishery.   The area of the pier that extended to the north was referred to as “Hog Island”.   A spectacular fire on June 8, 1987 destroyed the pier and its skeleton was finally demolished during the summer of 2001. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – STARSTREAM, Freeport, New York – 1971  Captain Jack Leven's and Captain Richie Kessinger's "STARSTREAM" from Freeport, NY circa 1971.   She was built in 1942 at Brooklyn, NY as the 83-foot US Coast Guard Cutter "CG-83373".   Captain Charlie Smallman acquired her as surplus in 1953 and she became his "YANKEE SKIPPER" sailing from Sheepshead Bay at Brooklyn, NY.   In 1968, she moved to Freeport, NY as the "STARSTREAM" and in 1973, she became Captain Edwin Berlin's "CLAIRE III" from the Bronx, NY.   Photo courtesy of Stephen Kessinger. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – CAPT. JOSEPH V, Captree, New York / Miami, Florida – 1972  Captain Stanley Joseph's "CAPT. JOSEPH V" was built by Outer Banks Boat Works (Gillikin) and was launched in January of 1971.   She was one of six Gillikin-built party boats launched by the Joseph family.   She sailed form Captree, NY for her first season and then relocated to Miami (where this photo was taken).   She later sailed as Captain Tommy Paladino's "ELSIE-K III" and after that as the "CAPT. DOUG".   The boat is presently sailing as the "MISS FREEPORT V" from Freeport, NY.   Photo courtesy of Captain Wayne Westerlind. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia 
2016 Holiday Edition – Captains Barry Goldman & George Bachert, Highlands, New Jersey – 1975  This photo of Barry Goldman and George Bachert was taken in 1975 before Captain Barry started his "Ol' SALTY" charter fishing business at Belmar, NJ.   The two were fishing on Barry's 25-foot Bertram, the "WHY KNOT" at Highlands Marina, Highlands, NJ.   Captain Barry is now retired, but Captain George still operates the "ANGLER" party fishing boat from Atlantic Highlands, NJ. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – CAPT. JOSEPH II, Captree, New York – 1977  The "CAPT. JOSEPH II" is seen here returning from flounder fishing in March of 1977.   She was built in 1964 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC and had four GM 6-71 diesel engines turning three propellers (two engines were connected in tandem to the center propeller shaft.)   In her day, she was the premier codfish party boat at Captree.   She later became Captain Tommy Marconi's "PILOT II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Sadly, the boat burned to the waterline during a Flounder fishing trip on March 5, 1985 and was beached at Sandy Hook.   Photo courtesy of Joan Richards. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – CAPT. CRAMER, Stone Harbor, New Jersey – 1978  Captain Don Cramer's "CAPT. CRAMER" was built in 1973 by Miller's Marine Railway at Deltaville, VA as Captain Charles Shaffer's second "STARFISH" from Sea Isle City, NJ.   (Mr. Miller was the son-in-law of noted boat builder Linwood Price.)  The boat then sailed as Captain Don Cramer's fourth boat named "CAPT. CRAMER" from Stone Harbor, NJ.   Captain Don operated the boat as a half-day party fishing boat, but he is noted for taking local dive clubs on trips to the many wrecks in the area.  After that, the boat sailed as Captain Bob Schumann's MISS CAPE MAY II from Cape May, NJ and is presently sailing as Captain Charles 'Chuck' Hackett's SEA STAR III from Cape May, NJ.  (Mr. Hackett was Bob Shumann's mate for many years.) : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – JIB V, Captree, New York – 1980  Captain Bert Blum's "JIB V" and from Captree, NY circa 1980.  The "JIB V" was built in 1970 by James Gillikin's Machine & Supply Co. at Beaufort, NC and was launched in June of that year.   She later operated from Montauk, NY as the whale watch boat "FINBACK I" before returning to Captree, NY where she continues to sail as the "LAURA LEE".   Photo courtesy of Joan Richards. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia  2016 Holiday Edition – Captain Martin "Marty" Haines Jr., Perth Amboy, New Jersey – 2000  Captain "Marty" Haines is seen here overlooking the deck action aboard his "SEA PIGEON IV" while drifting for Fluke in Raritan Bay in 2000.   Captain "Marty" Haines began his party boat career in the early 1960s working with his father, Captain Martin Haines Sr. aboard their "SEA PIGEON" sailing from Perth Amboy, NJ.   At the age of nineteen "Marty" earned his Captain's License and purchased his first party boat, the 45-foot "MAJESTIC".   Upon the death of his father, Captain "Marty" took over the family business and continued to sail the "SEA PIGEON", and after that, the "SEA PIGEON IV".   In 2007, "Marty" became  a captain for the New York Water Taxi commuter service and maintained his fishing skills by taking the helm of the "CAPTAIN JOHN" from Keyport, NJ on a once a week basis.  Throughout his career, Captain "Marty" has always been an active member of the United Boatmen's Association of New Jersey and has been aggressively involved in the movement to fight for the recreational fishermen's equity in marine fisheries regulations.   This year, Captain "Marty" Haines Jr. celebrates his fiftieth consecutive year as a party boat captain. : 2016, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia