1HEL-CAT, Montauk, NY – 1970 The "HEL-CAT" catamaran from Montauk, NY circa 1970. The Twin Hull Boat Company at Little Ferry, NY, built the hull in 1968 for the Glas family and they finished the boat themselves. The boat and business later moved to Groton, CT. In 1987, the Glas family converted her to a river tour boat, the "PRIDE OF NORWICH" and she sailed from Norwich, CT. Sold in 1988, she became the "LADY EDNA II". She later caught fire and sank.
2JAMAICA, Brielle, NJ – 1970 The bow of Captain Howard Bogan Sr's "JAMAICA" is shown at Blount Marine, Warren, RI in 1970. She later became "PARAMOUNT II" and is currently sailing as the "ATLANTIS". Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.
3JAMAICA, Brielle, NJ – 1970 The starboard side of Captain Howard Bogan Sr's "JAMAICA" at Blount Marine, Warren, RI in 1970. She later became "PARAMOUNT II" and is currently sailing as the "ATLANTIS". Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.
4SEA QUEEN V, Manhattan, NY – 1970 The "SEA QUEEN V" sailed from Manhattan during the late 1960s and early 1970s. She was a converted US Navy PT boat owned and operated by Captain Donald Schmahl. Built in 1942 by Elco shipbuilding at Bayonne, NJ, she originally sailed as the US Navy C-102548, and later as the US Navy PT-95. She then sailed Captain Gus Marinak's "SUN TAN" from the Bronx, NY before becoming the "SEA QUEEN V". Photo courtesy of Bill Fedison.
5SHAMROCK, New Rochelle, NY – 1970 The "SHAMROCK" sailed from Hudson Park at New Rochelle, NY and specialized in fishing Long Island Sound. She was built 1956 at Port Clinton, OH and originally fished the Great Lakes as the "WENDY".
6TRAVELER II, Brooklyn, NY – 1970 The "TRAVELER II" from Pier 1, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1970. She was operated by Captain Billy Tuveri. Built in 1959 at the Scott McBurney Boat Yard, Brooklyn, NY as Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER II", she became the "TRAVELER II" in 1963. She last sailed as the "DELMAR IV".
7CAPT. RICHIE, Captree, NY – 1971 Captain Richie Westerlind's "CAPT. RICHIE" from Captree, NY circa 1971. She was one of several Gillikin party boats owned by the Westerlind Family over the years. Gillikin Boat Works built her in 1961 at Harkers Island, NC and she originally sailed as the "CAPT. GEORGE". Later sold and renamed the "DULCINEA", she is currently operating as a launch for a yacht club at Boardman, OR. Partially disassembled for the move to Oregon, the boat was trucked across the country and reassembled on the west coast. Photo courtesy of Erika Westerlind.
8JAMIACA, Brielle, NJ – 1971 The 118-foot "JAMAICA" from Brielle, NJ circa 1971. She was operated by Captain Howard Bogan Sr. Built in 1970 by Blount Marine, Warren, RI; she had a steel hull and an aluminum superstructure. In 1977, shortly after the new 125-foot "JAMAICA" was launched, she was renamed "PARAMOUNT II". Today, she is Captain Francis Bogan's "ATLANTIS" and is the largest charter and long-range fishing boat operating in New Jersey. Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.
9SEA DEVIL, Brielle, NJ – 1971 Captain Bob Pennington's "SEA DEVIL" from Brielle, NJ circa 1971. She was built in 1953 as Captain 'Jack' Bogan's "SHAMROCK" by the Van Sant Boat Yard at Atlantic City, NJ. The boat was originally contracted for Captain Elwood Starn of Atlantic City, NJ and construction began. However, Captain Starn later opted out of completing the vessel. Captain 'Jack' Bogan then purchased the boat and contract from him and she was completed and launched as the "SHAMROCK". This was the very first flush deck party boat ever built.
Captain Bob Pennington began his party boat career as a mate aboard Captain Joe Burns' "MAN O' WAR" and later worked for Captain 'Jack' Bogan aboard his "SHAMROCK". In 1971, Captain Bob bought the "SHAMROCK" from his mentor and renamed her as his first "SEA DEVIL". He later relocated the "SEA DEVIL" to Point Pleasant, New Jersey. She later sailed as the "HAPPY DAYS TOO" and finally as the "THEODORA" from Wildwood, NJ.
10CAPT. BOB, Sea Isle City, NJ – 1972 The "CAPT. BOB" from Sea Isle City, NJ and skippered by Captain Robert Burcaw circa 1972. She was built in 1972 by Outer Banks Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC.
11STARSTREAM, Freeport, New York – 1971 Captain Jack Leven's and Captain Richie Kessinger's "STARSTREAM" from Freeport, NY circa 1971. She was built in 1942 at Brooklyn, NY as the 83-foot US Coast Guard Cutter "CG-83373". Captain Charlie Smallman acquired her as surplus in 1953 and she became his "YANKEE SKIPPER" sailing from Sheepshead Bay at Brooklyn, NY. In 1968, she moved to Freeport, NY as the "STARSTREAM" and in 1973, she became Captain Edwin Berlin's "CLAIRE III" from the Bronx, NY. Photo courtesy of Stephen Kessinger.
12CAPT. BOB II, Wildwood Crest, NJ – 1972 Captain Bob Brown's "CAPT. BOB II" from Wildwood Crest, NJ circa 1972. She was built in 1923 at Camden, NJ and first sailed as the "ONAWA" and later as the "BERTO". She was dropped from documentation in 1999 and her present fate is unknown.
13CAPT. JOSEPH V, Captree, New York / Miami, Florida – 1972 Captain Stanley Joseph's "CAPT. JOSEPH V" was built by Outer Banks Boat Works (Gillikin) and was launched in January of 1971. She was one of six Gillikin-built party boats launched by the Joseph family. She sailed form Captree, NY for her first season and then relocated to Miami (where this photo was taken). She later sailed as Captain Tommy Paladino's "ELSIE-K III" and after that as the "CAPT. DOUG". The boat is presently sailing as the "MISS FREEPORT V" from Freeport, NY. Photo courtesy of Captain Wayne Westerlind.
14CAPT. RED, Brooklyn, NY – 1972 The "CAPT. RED" from Sheepshead Bay hauled out at Brooklyn shipyard circa 1972. The boat was built in 1927 as Captain Frank Schwarzbach's "FISHER". In 1948, she became Captain Jackie Michael's second "AMERICA" and sailed from Pier 8 at Sheepshead Bay. She was sold again in 1962 and was renamed the "BROOKLYN". In 1971, Captains 'Red' Tanfield and Gerry Nappi purchased the boat and renamed her as the "CAPT. RED". Last sold in 1977, the boat moved to Florida and sailed as the "CAPT. HOOK". The boat has since been dismantled. Photo courtesy of Captain Gerry Nappi.
15CAPT. WAYNE, Captree – 1972 The "CAPT. WAYNE" from Captree, NY circa 1972. Captain Wayne Westerlind owned and operated her from 1969 to 1977. Price Boat Yard, Deltaville, VA built her in 1964 as Captain Ed Bunting's "SEA HORSE II" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Today, she is sailing as Captain Bill Doll's "JET" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. Photo courtesy of Lee Westerlind.
16DOLPHIN, Brooklyn, NY – 1972 The 65-foot "DOLPHIN" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1972. She was built in 1953 at Tarpon Springs, FL. Captain Pete Meglow bought her in 1980 and moved the "DOLPHIN" to Keyport, NJ; and she fished in Raritan Bay, NJ until 1988. She was finally sold to a commercial fisherman and later sank.
17Eastman's Docks, Seabrook, NH – 1972 Captain Charlie Eastman's party boat fleet from Seabrook, New Hampshire circa 1972. At the time the Eastman fleet consisted of three Deltaville deadrise boats.
The "LADY ANNE" was built in 1956 by Price Boat Yard at Deltaville, VA as Captain Jack Kennel's "FLYING FISH" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. After she left the Eastman fleet she became the "PROWLER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ and last sailed as the "SAND SHARK II" from Belmar, NJ.
The "LADY BEV" was built in 1955 by the W.H. Sable Boatyard at the Ruark section of Deltaville, VA as the "LADY ANNE". She later sailed as the "CAPT. STETSER" from Wildwood, NJ before becoming the "BUCKY II" from the same port. She last sailed as the "MISS BEVERLY" from Boston, MA and was dropped from documentation in 1999 and her fate is unknown.
The "LADY MARCIA ANN" was built in 1954 by Price Boat Yard at Deltaville, VA as Captain John Larson's first "MISS BARNEGAT LIGHT" from Barnegat Light, NJ. She later sailed as Captain Gary Bouchard's "MISTY MORN" from Morgan section of South Amboy, NJ and last sailed as the "HOLIDAY" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. Photo courtesy of Rich Hamel.
18HELEN II, Montauk, NY – 1972 Captain George Glas' "HELEN II" from Montauk, NY circa 1972. Built in1958 at Somerset, MA, the Glas family lengthened this 50-foot steel vessel to 60 feet, made it into a triple screw rig, lengthened the deck house and replaced the interior cockpit deck with a flush deck. Sold to the Peterson Steamship Company in 1977, she was sailing the Great Lakes as the sightseeing vessel "CITY OF DOUGLAS" until 2005 when her ownership changed again. The current owners had problems maintaining the hull plating and the boat went out of service. Her present status and whereabouts are unknown.
19GULF CRAFT Advertisement, Patterson, LA – 1973 A 1973 advertisement from Gulf Craft, the builder of Captain Al Shinn's "SS MISS BELMAR" from Belmar, NJ. Built in 1973, the boat had a long and successful career at Belmar, NJ and then became the "SOUTHERN PRINCESS" in 1997. The boat presently sails as the Mexican passenger ferry "PIOLIN".
20RELIABLE, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1972 Captain Bill Black's "RELIABLE" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ circa 1972. She was built in 1946 by Sutter Brothers Boatworks, Brooklyn, NY as Captain Sebastian Ott's "TRAVELER II" and first sailed from Sheepshead Bay. She was later purchased by Captain Black and relocated to Atlantic Highlands, NJ as his "RELIABLE". She was later relocated to Florida and last operated as a privately owned vessel. Photo courtesy of Captain Kevin Black.
21SEA KING, Belmar, NJ – 1972 It was back to Zuber's Seacoast Basin for Captain Joe Galluccio, but this time it was for giving his "SEA KING" a fresh coat of paint for the spring season. Photo Courtesy of Captain Joe Galluccio.
22SEA QUEEN III, Manhattan, NY – 1972 The "SEA QUEEN III" originally sailed from City Island, Bronx, NY under the command of Captain Fred Schmahl. Captain Fred later relocated her to Manhattan, NY where she sailed from the 23rd Street pier. The "SEA QUEEN III" was one of the last remaining converted World War I sub chasers to operate in our local waters. Built in 1917 at Jacksonville, FL, she first sailed as a party boat as the "USONA" from the Bronx, NY. Photo courtesy of Bill Fedison.
23TAMPA IV, Brooklyn, NY – 1972 Captain Rocky Becker's "TAMPA IV" is seen here in 1972 with a load of commuter passengers as she docks at Pier 11 at the end of Wall Street during one of the many New York City transit strikes. Blount Marine built the "TAMPA IV" in 1971 at Warren, RI. She was later sold to one-time "TAMPA IV" deckhand Larry Krim who along with Captains 'Red' Tanfield and Andrew Nazzaruolo operated her as the "EAGLE" from Pier 9 at Sheepshead Bay for four years. The "EAGLE" then sailed as a standby boat for Texaco when they drilled for oil off Atlantic City, NJ. After that, Captain Krim sold the "EAGLE" and she is currently operating as the Lake Erie cruise vessel "GOODTIME I" from Sandusky, OH. Photo courtesy of the Becker family.
24DEEP BLUE, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ –1973 The "DEEP BLUE" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1973. James Gillikin at Gillikin Craft Inc. Beaufort, NC, built her in 1972. She is shown at Point Pleasant, NJ soon after being purchased by Captain Harvey Brown – He renamed her the "QUEEN MARY". She sailed from Spike's Fishery Dock, Point Pleasant, NJ until she was sold again and renamed the "STARLIGHT" from Wildwood, NJ. On May 5, 1992, she was returning to Wildwood after spending the winter in the Florida Keys, encountered very rough weather, and sank off the coast of Maryland. Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.
25DEEP BLUE, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1973 The "DEEP BLUE" is shown here hauled out shortly after being purchased by Captain Harvey Brown, and about to become his "QUEEN MARY".
26SS MISS BELMAR, Belmar, NJ – 1973 The house section of the "SS MISS BELMAR" under construction at Gulf Craft, Patterson, LA circa 1973. Photo Courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.
27SS MISS BELMAR, Belmar, NJ – 1973 The upside down hull of the "SS MISS BELMAR" under construction at Gulf Craft, Patterson, LA circa 1973. After the plating was welded onto the frame, the hull would be flipped over and then the decking would be laid down. Later, the house section would be lifted and attached to the hull. Photo Courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.
28SS MISS BELMAR, Belmar, NJ – 1973 The 114-foot "MISS BELMAR" newly arrived at Belmar, NJ from the shipyard circa 1973. Gulf Craft at Patterson, LA, built this aluminum vessel in 1973. Scott Tibbs of Gulf Craft designed and built several Party Boats during the 1970s. His sleekly designed and sturdily built vessels continue to sail from ports throughout the east coast and are a testament to the quality boats produced at Gulf Craft. Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.
29ROYAL FLUSH, Wildwood Crest, NJ – 1973 A 1973 advertising postcard for Captain Edward Royles' "ROYAL FLUSH" from Wildwood Crest, NJ. Built in 1971 by Machine & Supply Co. at Beaufort, NC, she originally sailed as the "BLUE HERON V" from Riviera Beach, FL before relocating to New Jersey. The "ROYAL FLUSH" was sold in 1978 to Captain Gary Sloan and she became his "ADVENTURER II" from Wildwood, NJ. In 2004, she relocated to Lewes, DE, where she continues to sail as the "ADVENTURER II".
30SUPER CAT, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1973 Captain Charlie Fossani's "SUPER CAT" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ circa 1973. Monark Custom Craft at Jeanerette, LA built this 90-foot aluminum catamaran in 1972. She later became the sightseeing boat "BIG FLAMINGO" from Wildwood, NJ and is presently sailing as the "SUPER QUEEN" from Clearwater Beach, FL. Photo postcard courtesy of Captain Bob Moro.