HOLIDAY, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  Captain Jack Endean's "HOLIDAY" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.   Built in 1974 by Lydia Yachts at Stuart, FL, she later became Captain Bill Van Wetering's "CAPT. BILL VAN" from Belmar, NJ.   She then sailed as the "PORT JEFF ACE" from Port Jefferson, NY and returned to New Jersey in 1993 as Captain John Connell's "CAPTAIN JOHN" from Keyport, NJ.   She is presently sailing from Chesapeake Beach, MD as the "LADY HOOKER".  KLONDIKE VI, New Rochelle, NY – 1975  Captain Pete Pearson's "KLONDIKE VI" is shown here in 1975 shortly after being launched by her builder, Lydia Yachts.   The "KLONDIKE VI" sailed from New Rochelle, New York and specialized in fishing on Long Island Sound.   In 1979, Captain Pearson sold her, and the boat was relocated to Honduras; her present fate is unknown.  MISS POINT PLEASANT II, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  The "MISS POINT PLEASANT II" sailed from Ken's Landing at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and was built in 1957 by Stowman Shipyards at Dorchester, NJ.   Sailing schedule and fare advertisements painted on the hull were a trademark of party boats sailing from the Manasquan Inlet and this technique worked well as they drifted along the crowded beaches and plied the inlet before the many tourists and onlookers.  NORMA-K II, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  Captain Ken Keller's "NORMA-K II" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.   The "NORMA-K II" was built in 1964 by Deebold Boatworks, Atlantic City, NJ.   She is owned and operated by Captain Ken Keller and is the only Deebold party boat to retain her original name.   She is still an active boat in the NORMA-K fleet.  PARAMOUNT II, Brielle, NJ – 1975  The "PARAMOUNT II" is seen here with a group of passengers from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).   The boat was chartered for the day so life rafts utilized by large airplanes could be tested.   Soon after the "PARAMOUNT II" anchored it was joined by another boat that deployed the rafts, and then passed them while underway to create a wake to determine the rafts dependability.   Many of the people seen aboard are pilots and stewards.   The photo is courtesy of Captain Ray Bogan. 
PIPER, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  The "PIPER" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.   Built in 1961 by Gillikin Boat Works, at Harkers Island, NC, she first sailed as Captain Frank Green's "QUEEN MARY".   Captain Green passed away in 1963 and Captain Harvey Brown purchased the boat.   He didn't change her name, but he relocated the "QUEEN MARY" to Spike's Fishery Dock at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.   In 1974, Captain 'Blacky' Walsh bought the boat and renamed her "PIPER".   A few years later, the boat was purchased by Captain Fred Kern and sailed from Belmar, NJ as the "SPRAY II".   In 1982, Captain Hal Hagaman purchased the boat and sailed her as the "SEA TIGER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ until the spring of 2004.   She then sailed as Captain Richie Moore's "MISS MOORE" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ and then sailed as the "A.C. LADY" from Atlantic City, NJ.   The vessel is now sailing as Captain Stewart Cash's "OSPREY IV" from Port Jefferson, NY.   Photo Courtesy of Cathy and 'Blacky' Walsh.  SATELLITE, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1975  On March 6 1975, Ed 'Whitey' Sidorski's "SATELLITE" started taking on water south of Ambrose Light at the end of a fishing trip.   The anglers were safely removed to a pilot boat and the "SATELLITE" was towed back to port by Charlie Fossani's "SUPER CAT".   Captain Ed Sidorski is in the bow along with his son Captain Bob Sidorski and the tow rope to the "SUPER CAT" is visible.   The "SATELLITE" was built 1945 at Annapolis, as the US Navy Patrol Torpedo boat "PT-711".  SEA DEVIL, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1976  Captain Bob Pennington's second boat named "SEA DEVIL" from Point Pleasant, NJ circa 1976.  The boat was built in 1969 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC as the "VIKING" from Barnegat Light, NJ.  In 1966, the boat sailed as Captain Bob Bogan's "GAMBLER" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and in 1976, the boat became the "SEA DEVIL".  In 1979, the boat became 'Sarge' Batrouny's "OASIS" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ and in the 1990s, the boat became the "TWILIGHT" from Wildwood, NJ.   After that, the boat sailed as Dave Paris' "CAPT. DAVE" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY and then as the "SEACREATURE" from Sheepshead Bay.   The boat last sailed as the "LADY ASH" from Brooklyn, NY and is now scuttled in the Arthur Kill River near Tottenville, Staten Island.   Not surprisingly, she had the nickname, the 'Used-To-Be'.   The photo is courtesy of Skip Tonks.  SHAMROCK, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1975  Captain 'Jack' Bogan's "SHAMROCK" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1975.  Sutton Boat Works built this steel-hulled vessel in 1966 at Tarpon Springs, FL and she first sailed as the "CAPT. BILL II".   Sold in 1984 she relocated to Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY and sailed under the same name.   The federal government confiscated the "SHAMROCK" in 1985 and later sold her at auction.   She is has since been completely remodeled and is presently sailing on the St. Croix River as the dinner cruise vessel "AFTON PRINCESS" from Afton, MN.   Photo Courtesy of Captain 'Jack' Bogan Sr.  SHY POKE, Belmar, NJ – 1975  Captain Bryan Elsey's charter boat "SHY POKE" from Belmar, NJ circa 1975.   The "SHY POKE" was built in 1956 at Rock Hall, MD and was originally owned by Captain Bill Guenther. 
SUPER CAT, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1975  Captain Charlie Fossani's "SUPER CAT" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ circa 1975.   This 90-foot aluminum catamaran was built in 1972 by Monark Custom Craft at Jeanerette, LA and later became Captain Sinn's "BIG FLAMINGO" from Wildwood Crest, NJ where she specialized in sightseeing trips.   She is currently sailing as the party fishing boat "SUPER QUEEN" from Clearwater Beach, FL.  SUPER SPRAY II, Belmar, NJ – 1975  Captain Fred Kern’s "SUPER SPRAY II" from Belmar, NJ circa 1975.   Built in 1974 by Gulf Craft at Patterson, LA, she was one of several "Super Cruisers" that joined the New York / New Jersey party boat fleet in the early to mid–1970s.   Unlike the other 77-foot party boats constructed by Gulf Craft during this era, her deck was built lower to the water to enhance her mainstay business of drifting for Fluke.   Her low profile made her look much wider than her counterparts.   Photo courtesy of the Kern Family.  ALOMA, Freeport, NY –1976  Captain George Schmidt's "ALOMA" from Freeport, NY circa 1976.   She was built in 1958 at St. Augustine, FL and first sailed as the "CAPT. OLE".   In 1959, the "ALOMA" was sold to Captain John Sheehan and became his "MISS PECONIC II" and sailed from Greenport, NY.   In 1967, she was relocated to Freeport, NY as the "VIKING SKIPPER".   She was then sold in 1974 and became the "ALOMA" under the command of Captain John Grimley.   She later relocated to Wildwood, NJ as Captain Charlie Selby's "RAINBOW" and then relocated to Miami FL, as the "SEA KING II".   She was dismantled in1990.   Photo courtesy of Paul Schmidt.  BIG MARIE-S, Belmar, NJ – 1976  The "BIG MARIE-S" was originally built by Deebold Boatworks, Atlantic City, NJ in 1965 as the "JO ANN IV" and sailed from Bahr's Landing, Highlands, NJ.   She was later purchased by Captain Walter Siegler and became his "BIG-MARIE-S" from Belmar, NJ.   She later became the large charter boat "AMERICAN EAGLE" and was skippered by Captains Hank Leonard and Mark Campbell.  On February 29, 2004, the "AMERICAN EAGLE" entered Manasquan Inlet and lost her steering.   She struck the jetty inside the inlet and began taking on water.   She was towed to shallow water where she later sank.   The vessel was dismantled a few days later.  BIG MOHAWK II, Brooklyn, NY – 1976  Owned and operated by partners Tony 'Mo' Barbato and Dan Kenny, the "BIG MOHAWK II" sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   In the photo, she is sailing in upper New York harbor during the July 4, 1976 Bicentennial celebration watching the parade of tall ships.     Atlantic City Boat Works built the vessel in 1962 as the "CAPTAIN STARN III".   Captains Tony and Dan purchased her in 1976 and she became the "BIG MOHAWK II".   Later, she was sold to Captains Marty Tave and Gary Fagan who sailed her from Belmar, NJ under the same "BIG MOHAWK II" name.   She later became the "ISLAND PRINCESS" from Captree, NY and has since found her way back to Belmar, NJ, where she is now sailing as Captain Chris Hueth's "BIG MOHAWK".   Photo courtesy of Captain Tony "Mo" Barbato. 
RANGER V, Brooklyn, NY – 1976  Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER V" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1976.   Built in 1975 by Derecktor Shipyards at Mamaroneck, NY, she was the largest party boat to sail from Sheepshead Bay at the time.   She was sold in 1981 and relocated to Texas, and then later sailed from Madeira Beach, Florida.   She is currently sailing in the Caribbean near the Turks and Caicos region.   Photo courtesy of Captain Norm Mordaunt.  STARLIGHT, Wildwood, NJ – 1976  The "STARLIGHT" from Wildwood, NJ circa 1976.   Built in 1965 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC, she originally sailed as Captain Ted Bower's "BLUE SEA I" from Riviera Beach, FL.   She later sailed as the "CAPT. SANDY II" and then as the "STARLIGHT".   She was later sold and remodeled and became Captain Fred Robert's "YANKEE III" from Captree, NY.  ATLANTIS, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1977  The "ATLANTIS" from Broadway Basin at Point Pleasant, NJ as she appeared in 1977.   Built in 1955 by Stowman Shipyards at Dorchester, NJ as the "PARAMOUNT", she was powered by two GM 110 diesel engines and was the first party fishing boat in New Jersey equipped with radar.   She was later renamed the "PARAMOUNT II" and then remodeled (her wheelhouse was relocated topside) and renamed the "MARINER".   She was sold to Captain Fred Bird from Montauk, NY shortly after this photo was taken.  Captain Fred remodeled her again and renamed her the "FLYING CLOUD".   She still sails from Montauk today and specializes in Fluke fishing during the summer and Porgy fishing during the off-season.   Photo courtesy of Captain Michael Rathgeber.  BETTY W II, Brooklyn, NY – 1977  The "BETTY W II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1977.   The "BETTY W II" was built in 1959 for Captain Ken Wright by the Scott McBurney Boat Yard at Brooklyn, NY.   Captain Ken's first mate, the well-known Captain Al Coley, took over the business from his mentor and continued to operate the vessel from Sheepshead Bay.   Sold in 1983, she became the "SUNSHINE III" from Sheepshead Bay.   She ran aground near Rockaway Inlet in 1987 and was dismantled.   Photo courtesy of John Cairns.  CAPT. JOSEPH II, Captree, New York – 1977  The "CAPT. JOSEPH II" is seen here returning from flounder fishing in March of 1977.   She was built in 1964 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC and had four GM 6-71 diesel engines turning three propellers (two engines were connected in tandem to the center propeller shaft.)   In her day, she was the premier codfish party boat at Captree.   She later became Captain Tommy Marconi's "PILOT II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Sadly, the boat burned to the waterline during a Flounder fishing trip on March 5, 1985 and was beached at Sandy Hook.   Photo courtesy of Joan Richards. 
DAUNTLESS II, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1977  The "DAUNTLESS II" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1977.   She was built in 1958 by Stowman Shipyards at Dorchester, NJ as Captain James Bogan Sr.'s fourth "PARAMOUNT".    She then sailed as the "DAUNTLESS II" before becoming Francis Bogan's "ATLANTIS" from Brielle, NJ, and then as Jack Endean's fifth "HOLIDAY" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, and then as Rudy Frenville Jr.'s "DUCHESS" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, and then as Marc Brent's "FRIENDSHIP II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Alas, the boat burned at the dock in 1986 and was a total loss.  RANGER V, Brooklyn, NY – 1977  The "RANGER V" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1977.   Built in 1975 by Derecktor Shipyards at Mamaroneck, NY, she was owned and operated by Captain Mike Scarpati.   The "RANGER V" was the largest party boat to sail from Sheepshead Bay at the time.   She was sold in 1981 and relocated to Texas, and later sailed from Madeira Beach, Florida.   She is currently operating in the Caribbean Islands near the Turks and Caicos region.   Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.  SEA FOAM IV, Atlantic City, NJ – 1977  Captains Al and Don Brown's "SEA FOAM IV" from Atlantic City, New Jersey.   Stowman Shipyards built her in 1956 at Dorchester, New Jersey.   Sold in 1980, she became Captain Mike Danon's "CAPT. LOU III" from Freeport, New York.   She later sailed as the "CAPT. BOB II" and then as the "PHILOMENA".   She has since been dismantled.   Photo courtesy of Don Nyce.  YANKEE SWORD, Belmar, NJ – 1977  Captain William Hammarstrom built this vessel in 1967 at Waretown, NJ as his "CAROLYN ANN II".   He later sold the boat to Captain Arnold Boardman, who sailed her from Belmar, NJ as the "YANKEE SWORD".   Captain Boardman then sold the boat to Captain Hank Leonard who continued to sail her under the "YANKEE SWORD" name.   She was later sold and became Captain Bob Nash's "OUTLAW" from Belmar, NJ.   Photo Courtesy of Ken Boardman.  ATLANTIS, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1978  The "ATLANTIS" sailed from Broadway Basin at Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and she was owned by the Bogan Family.   Stowman Shipyards of Dorchester, NJ built her in 1957, and she originally sailed as the "JAMAICA".   Over the next 20 years, she would skip around the Bogan Fleet sailing as the "DAUNTLESS" and then as Captain Francis Bogan's "ATLANTIS".    She was later sold and remodeled and is presently sailing as the "SEA STAR II" from Cape May, NJ. 
CAPT. CRAMER, Stone Harbor, New Jersey – 1978  Captain Don Cramer's "CAPT. CRAMER" was built in 1973 by Miller's Marine Railway at Deltaville, VA as Captain Charles Shaffer's second "STARFISH" from Sea Isle City, NJ.   (Mr. Miller was the son-in-law of noted boat builder Linwood Price.)  The boat then sailed as Captain Don Cramer's fourth boat named "CAPT. CRAMER" from Stone Harbor, NJ.   Captain Don operated the boat as a half-day party fishing boat, but he is noted for taking local dive clubs on trips to the many wrecks in the area.  After that, the boat sailed as Captain Bob Schumann's MISS CAPE MAY II from Cape May, NJ and is presently sailing as Captain Charles 'Chuck' Hackett's SEA STAR III from Cape May, NJ.  (Mr. Hackett was Bob Shumann's mate for many years.)  CAPT. JOSEPH II, Captree, NY – 1978  The "CAPT. JOSEPH II" was built in 1970 by Outer Banks Boatworks and originally sailed as the "CAPT. JOSEPH IV", before Captain Bob Joseph renamed her the "CAPT. JOSEPH II". She is the second largest party boat built by James Gillikin.   Afterwards, she sailed as the "ST. ANTHONY", the "RANGER", the "CAP'N ANDY II", and is presently sailing as Captain Captain Paul Risi's "TRADEWINDS II".  DIXIE, Brooklyn, NY – 1978  Captain Irving Moss' party boat "DIXIE" circa 1978.   Built in 1934 by the Scott McBurney Boat Yard at Brooklyn, NY as the "SEA PIGEON II", she was later sold in 1945 to William 'Willy' Sutherland, and then to 'Heckey' Sakstein.   In 1967, Captain Sakstein sold her to Captain Moss who remodeled her and renamed her the "DIXIE" (you can still see her skipjack-style hull and shear.)   In 1982, Captain Ed Laske purchased the "DIXIE" and brought her to Captree, NY as a charter boat.   He ran the boat for a few years until his business outgrew the boat and sold it.   Afterwards, Captain Laske purchased what was the last "CHOPPER" and named it the "DIXIE II".   Photo Courtesy of Captain Ron Moss.  QUEEN MARY, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1978  The "QUEEN MARY" from Point Pleasant, NJ circa 1978.   James Gillikin at Gillikin Craft Inc., Beaufort, NC built her in 1972 as the "DEEP BLUE".   Captain Harvey Brown purchased the boat in 1973 and renamed her the "QUEEN MARY".   She sailed from Spike's Fishery Dock, Point Pleasant, NJ until sold again and renamed the "STARLIGHT" from Wildwood, NJ.   On May 5, 1992, she was returning to Wildwood, NJ after spending the winter in the Florida Keys, encountered very rough weather, and sank off the coast of Maryland.   Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.  RAINBOW, Brooklyn, NY – 1978  Captain Tony Franklin's "RAINBOW" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1978.  The "Rainbow" was one of several converted World War II military surplus vessels that operated as party boats for several decades.   Built in 1942 as the Air-Sea Rescue vessel "AVR-C-9442" at Miami, FL, she was sold as surplus in 1949 and soon after, sailed as the "SEA WOLF" from Bedford, MA.   In 1952, Captain Franklin purchased the boat and began sailing from Sheepshead Bay.