ZEPHYR II, Bayonne, NJ – 1965  The "ZEPHYR II" from Bayonne City Dock, Bayonne, NJ circa 1965.   She was owned and operated by Captain Carl Rafi Jr. and Captain Herman Grothues.   She was built in 1948 at Cambridge, MD as the "HERON".   She later became the “JACE II”, Belmar, NJ and was renamed the "ZEPHYR II" in 1962.   In 1974, the "ZEPHYR II" sank near 'Ambrose Tower' and Captain Grothues went down with the vessel.   Photo courtesy of Captain 'Butch' Rafi.  BLACK WHALE, Beach Haven, NJ – 1966  Captain Herb Schoenberg’s "BLACK WHALE" from Beach Haven, NJ circa 1966.   Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ built the "BLACK WHALE" in 1959.   She later sailed as Captain Anthony Jannatty's "HOLIDAY" from Forked River, NJ.  BRONISLAW III, Gerritsen Beach, NY – 1966  The "BRONISLAW III" is shown leaving for a day at sea with a group of orphan children from the now-defunct Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY.   Each year, the Tamaqua Club fleet would sponsor a fishing outing for the orphans living at Mount Loretto.     The "BRONISLAW III" was built in1941 at Curtis Bay, MD as the US Navy Liberty Launch "USN C-2185".   Purchased as surplus, she became Captain Claus Syvertsen's "MATTIE".   She later sailed as Captain John Swanson's "SEA HORSE" from Gerritsen Beach before sailing as the "BRONISLAW III".   She later sailed as the "AQUARIAN II" and was dismantled 1986.   Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.  CAPTAIN CRAMER, Sea Isle City, NJ – 1966  The "CAPTAIN CRAMER" from Sea Isle City, NJ circa 1966.   This one was built in 1961 by Price Boat Yard, Deltaville, VA and replaced their older boat.  CAPT. JOSEPH II, Captree, NY – 1966  Captain Stanley Joseph's "CAPT. JOSEPH II" from Captree, NY circa 1966.   This classic 72-footer was built in 1964 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC and had four GM 6-71 diesel engines turning three propellers (two engines were connected in tandem to the center propeller shaft.)   She later became one of the late Captain Tommy Marconi's "PILOT II" boats from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Sadly, the boat burned to the waterline during a Flounder fishing trip in the fall of 1982. 
DELMAR III, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1966  Captain Al Gable's "DELMAR III" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ circa 1966.   Price Boat Yard built her in 1965 at Deltaville, VA.   She later sailed as Captain Clem Esposito's "COMMODORE" from Island Park, NY and is currently sailing from Highlands, NJ as Captain Stan Zagleski's "ELAINE-B II".   Photo courtesy of Ray Soyka.  HELEN H II, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  The "HELEN H II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1966.   The boat was built in 1964 at Bena, VA as the "SEA ROVER".   She relocated to Sheepshead Bay as the "HELEN H II".   She was actually the third vessel named "HELEN H", but the only one with a numeral designation after the name.   She was replaced in 1975 and became Captains Walter Specht and Neil Delanoy's the "LADY ANN" from Captree, NY.   She is currently sailing as Captain Ken Birkmire's "TARYN-ANN" from Captree, NY.  HIGHLANDER, Highlands, NJ – 1966  Captain Bill Petrasek's "HIGHLANDER" from Highlands, NJ circa 1966.   She was built in 1942 at Solomons, MD as the US Army "T-21".   She was later sold and converted to a commercial dragger and is currently named the "SGT. JONES" and sails from North Port, NY.   Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.  ISLAND QUEEN, Cape May, NJ – 1966  The "ISLAND QUEEN" from Cape May, NJ with Captain George Gadsby circa 1966.   She was built in 1963 by Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC as the "CAPT. GEO".   She was later the "ALOMA" and then became the "ISLAND QUEEN"  JO-ANN, Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  The "JO-ANN" was owned by Edward Sarubbi and was one of several smaller open boats to sail from the Tamaqua Fishing Station located at Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY.   The "JO-ANN" is shown leaving on a fishing trip with a group of orphan children from the now-defunct Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY.   Each year, the Tamaqua fleet would sponsor a fishing outing for the orphans living at Mount Loretto.   Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford. 
MAN O' WAR, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1966  Captain Joe Burns' "MAN O' WAR" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1966.   Built in 1943 by Higgins Industries at New Orleans, LA as the US Navy Patrol Torpedo boat "PT-305", she was purchased in 1953 by the Bogan Family who sailed her as the "JERSEY" from Brielle, New Jersey.   In 1963, she sailed for one season as Captain Bill Egerter 's "DAUNTLESS" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ before being sold to Captain Joe Burns in 1964.   Captain Burns operated the "MAN O' WAR" until 1973.  This World War II Patrol Torpedo boat is currently undergoing a full restoration at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, LA under her original name, the "PT-305".  MARLIN III, Montauk, New York – 1966  Captain Dick Rade's brand spanking new "MARLIN III" from Montauk, New York circa 1966.   She was built in 1966 by Machine & Supply Co. (Gillikin) at Beaufort, NC.   She was later sold and renamed the "CAPT. LEITCH IV" from Captree, NY and then as the "MISS GREENPORT".   In 1998, she was sold to Captain Ed Beneducci and he remodeled and renamed her as the "MARLIN VI" from Montauk, NY.   It then sailed as Captain Jeff Gutman's "ANGLER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   The boat then sailed as Captain Dave Paris' "CAPT. DAVE II" from Sheepshead Bay, NY, and then as Captain Keith Williams FIN CHASER II from Montauk, NY.   The boat is now owned by Captain Tim Juettner and is presently named the "NORTH STAR III".  MATTIE, Gerritsen Beach, NY – 1966  The "MATTIE" was built 1946 by Peterson Boat Yard at Staten Island, NY as the "THERESA L."   Like the "BRONISLAW III", she also fished with groups of orphan children from Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY.   Notice the Nun standing in the center of the stern.   According to rumor, a Sister was assigned to each vessel and she was equipped with a ruler to measure the catch -- and maintain order.  Ouch!   Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.  MISS REGNILLES II, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1966  Captain Ed Sellinger's "MISS REGNILLES II" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1966.   Gillikin Boat Works built her in 1961 at Harkers Island, NC.   In 1978, she was sold and became Captain Arnold 'Speedy' Hubert's  "SPEEDY VII" from Captree, NY.   The following year, she sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn for one season as Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER". She later relocated to Sea Isle City, New Jersey as the "MISS SEA ISLE II" and then sailed as the "CHALLENGER" for a short period of time.   She last sailed as the "CAPT. COLLET" from Atlantic City, NJ.   Dropped from documentation in 2006, she was last seen in 2009 abandoned in a Virginia boatyard and her present fate is unknown.  NADA-JANE, Cape May, NJ – 1966  Captain Walter Schick's "NADA-JANE" from Cape May, NJ circa 1966.   The "NADA JANE" was built in 1957 by Price Boat Yard at Deltaville, VA.   She would later sail as the "VIKING DIVER" and has since been dismantled. 
PALACE III, Hoboken, NJ and Manhattan, NY – 1966  Captain Edward Baletti Sr.'s "PALACE III" from Hoboken, NJ circa 1966.   After leaving Hoboken’s Pier 16 at 6:30 AM, she made a second stop at Manhattan’s Battery Pier 1 at 6:45 AM before heading off to the fishing grounds.   She was built in 1942 at East Greenwich, RI as the US Navy Submarine Chaser "SC-1322".   The US Navy gave her to the Baletti family after World War II as compensation for damages done to the converted steam yacht "PALACE", which was seized for the war effort.   She sailed from Hoboken, NJ until the late 1970’s when she was sold, relocated to Florida and renamed "THE LORDS MERCY".  SEA RANGER, Belmar, NJ – 1966  The "SEA RANGER" from Belmar, NJ circa 1966.   The vessel was built in 1944 at Bristol, RI as the US Navy air-sea rescue boat "C-77461".   After the end of World War II, the Navy transferred her to the US Coast Guard and she was renamed the "CG-63050".   In 1949, she was sold as surplus and converted to party boat fishing.   She originally sailed as Captain David Shinn’s "BOBBY II" and was later renamed the "SEA JET".   In 1966, she became Captain Joe Galluccio’s "SEA RANGER".  In April of 1955, she was sailing as the "BOBBY II" under the command of Captain David Shinn and while she was returning from a day of fishing at the Cholera Banks, the 7,652-ton freighter "SS PRESIDENT BUCHANAN" struck her.  The collision sheared off a 13-foot section of the bow of the 63-foot "BOBBY II".   Because of her military construction (which included double forward crash bulkheads), she did not sink and was even able to return to Belmar under her own power.   Hundreds of people flocked to the Belmar Marine Basin to get a first-hand look at this amazing vessel.   The "BOBBY II" was later repaired at Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ and renamed the "SEA JET".   Photo courtesy of Captain Joe Galluccio.  SEA RANGER, Belmar, NJ – 1966  Captain Joe Galluccio's "SEA RANGER" is sitting high n' dry for her annual haulout at Zuber's Seacoast Basin, Brielle, NJ.   She was formerly the "BOBBY II" and "SEA JET".   Photo courtesy of Captain Joe Galluccio.  TAMPA III, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  Captain Rocky Becker’s "TAMPA III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1966.   Stevenson Boat Works, Staten Island, NY built her in 1963 and she sailed from Pier 2 at Sheepshead Bay.   On July 4, 1970, the "TAMPA III" was heading home in a dense fog after a night of bluefishing, and was struck by the freighter "MORMACGLEN" and sank.   Her skipper that evening was Captain Norman Mordaunt; he was credited with averting a major tragedy by swerving away from the freighter moments before the collision.   Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.  VIKING II, Staten Island, NY – 1966  Captain Andy Kondracki's "VIKING II" from Shoals Dock at Great Kills, Staten Island, NY circa 1966.   She was built in 1943 at Miami, FL for the US Navy as the 63-foot air-sea rescue boat "ARB-9460".   At the conclusion of World War II, she was sold as surplus and began her party boat career sailing from Wildwood, NJ as Captain George Sinn's "MAROLYN".   Captain George Sinn later sold this vessel to Captain Kondracki. 
WHITBY III, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  Captain 'Herbie' Hammer's "WHITBY III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn circa 1966.   The "WHITBY III" was the last converted World War I Sub Chaser to sail from Sheepshead Bay.   She left from Pier 9 as the 'early boat' with a 5:00 AM departure time.  The Elco Boat Works, Bayonne, NJ built the boat in 1917 as the US Navy Sub Chaser "SC-101".   She was sold as surplus after the end of World War I and converted to a party fishing boat.   She first sailed as Captain Steve Wischerth's "FIDUS" from the Canarsie section of Brooklyn, and then as Captain Edward Baletti's "PALACE II" from Hoboken, New Jersey before becoming the "WHITBY III" in 1948.  On a side note… when Captain Tony 'Mo' Barbato was running night Bluefish trips on the "WHITBY III", he found the boat's original logbook and it contained entries indicating that the "SC-101" sailed completely around the world on three occasions.  MARLIN III, Montauk, NY – 1967  The "MARLIN III" from Montauk, NY and skippered by Captain Dick Rade circa 1967.   Full day Cod and Pollock trips only cost $8 bucks.   She was built in 1966 by Machine & Supply Co., Beaufort, NC.   She was later renamed the "CAPT. LEITCH IV" and then as the "MISS GREENPORT".   In 1998, she was sold to Captain Ed Beneducci and he remodeled and renamed her the "MARLIN VI" from Montauk, NY.   It then sailed as Captain Jeff Gutman's "ANGLER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   Since 2009, the boat has been sailing as Captain Dave Paris' "CAPT. DAVE II" from Sheepshead Bay, NY.   Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.  MISS SHELTER HAVEN, Stone Harbor, NJ – 1967  The "MISS SHELTER HAVEN" sailed daily from Stone Harbor, NJ and was skippered by Captain Don Cramer.   Price Boat Yard of Deltaville, VA built her in 1965 and she originally sailed as the "MISS SEA ISLE".   She was later sold and she returned to Sea Isle City, NJ as the "MISS TOWNSENDS INLET".  MISS TAMBO, Brielle, NJ – 1967  The "MISS TAMBO" from Brielle, NJ circa 1967.   She was built in 1962 by Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC for Captain Ed Keefe Sr. who sailed her from Harbor Inn Basin.   The "MISS TAMBO" was the replacement boat for the "TAMBO III".   She specialized in bottom fishing during the summers and late season Fluke fishing.   In 1984, she was sold and became the "VAMP IV" from Bower's Beach, DE.   Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.  REALM, Brielle, NJ – 1967  Captain Raymond Messemer's "REALM" from Brielle, New Jersey circa 1967.   She was built in 1928 at Chincoteague, VA and previously sailed from Point Pleasant, NJ as the party fishing boat "A.C. MEYERS".   Captain Messemer later sold this vessel and she became the "MISS SEASIDE" and sailed in Barnegat Bay, NJ.   Photo courtesy of Captain Raymond Messemer. 
TEAL, Staten Island, NY – 1967  The "TEAL" sailed from Shoals Dock at Great Kills, Staten Island, NY and is seen here in 1967 as she returned to the water after completing her annual off-season visit to the boatyard for maintenance.   The "TEAL" was built by Gillikin Boat Works in 1961 and was powered by three GM 6-71 diesel engines.  CAPT. ROBBINS, Sea Isle City, NJ – 1968  Captain Frazier Robbins' "CAPT. ROBBINS" from Sea Isle City, NJ circa 1968.   Price Boat Yard, Deltaville, VA built her in 1959 and she specialized in wreck and bottom fishing.   Captain Robbins sold her when he purchased a new boat in 1973.   Her new owners relocated the boat to Morehead City, NC and renamed her the "OLYMPUS".  CAPT. WAYNE, Captree, NY – 1968  Captain Wayne Westerlind’s "CAPT. WAYNE" from Captree, NY.   She is shown suspended from a gantry crane during a haulout at Rutherig Marine Service, Lindenhurst, NY in 1968.   Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC built this 65-foot boat in 1964 as Captain Jay Porter’s "JESS-LU IV".   Today, she is sailing as Captain Ed Bunting's "SEA HORSE" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   Photo courtesy of Lee Westerlind.  EFFORT, Brooklyn, NY – 1968  In this 1968 photo, Captain Charles VanDerVoort's "EFFORT" shown at her pier in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Docked behind the "EFFORT" is Captain Irving Moss'  "SEA PIGEON II".   The "EFFORT" was a converted World War II US Navy Subchaser built in 1942 at Wickford, RI as the "SC-1300".   She was dismantled in 1970.  GRACE, Brooklyn, NY – 1968  Captain Joe La Gaipa's "GRACE" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1968.   Built in 1936 at Brooklyn, NY, she was originally owned by Captain Walter Montague.   Captain Joe La Gaipa later purchased her and continued to sail this vessel from Sheepshead Bay.   She is a typical 'Skipjack Class' party boat of the era.   Photo courtesy of Captain 'Butch' Rafi.