JESS-LU IV, Freeport, NY – 1965  The "JESS-LU IV" from Freeport, NY and skippered by Captain Jay Porter circa 1965.   Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC, built her in 1964 and she later became the "CAPT. WAYNE" from Captree, NY.   She changed hands again and became Captain Ed Bunting's "SEA HORSE" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   In 1992, Captain Bunting took her back to Gillikin for a complete refurbishing.   She returned to New Jersey with a new look and still sails as the "SEA HORSE" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.  MAJESTIC, Brooklyn, NY – 1965  Another picture of Captain Joe Majestic's "MAJESTIC" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   A spray dodger and an enclosed passenger cabin can now be seen in this 1965 picture.   John Majestic built the "MAJESTIC" in 1946 at Brooklyn, NY.  MISS MOORE, Great Kills, NY – 1965  The ESSO Company charter on August 21, 1965 aboard the "MISS MOORE" from Shoals Dock, Great Kills, Staten Island, NY.   Captains Freddie and Eve Moore operated the "MISS MOORE".   She was built in 1963 by Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC and later became the "SEA WOLF" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.  MISS TAMBO, Brielle, NJ – 1965  The "MISS TAMBO" from Brielle, NJ circa 1965.   A nice color picture displaying her fine woodwork and "Pacific Green" colored trim.  MISS TAMBO, Brielle, NJ – 1965  The "MISS TAMBO" during her haulout at Zuber's Basin, Brielle, NJ in 1965.   She was built in 1962 by Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC for Captain Ed Keefe Sr. and sailed from Harbor Inn Basin, Brielle, NJ.   Standing in the bow (and armed with paint brushes) are Captain Ed Keefe Jr. and First Mate Tom Koerkel.   Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr. 
RANGER III, Brooklyn, NY – 1965  Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1965.  At the helm is Captain Jack Draeger.   The "RANGER III" was built in 1963 and with two GM 12-71 diesel engines and a length of more than 90 feet, she was the largest party boat constructed by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC.  After leaving Sheepshead Bay, she relocated to Cape Cod, MA and made whale watching trips from Provincetown, and after that became the "BIG FLAMINGO II" from Wildwood, NJ.   She later relocated to Tybee Island, GA as the "ATLANTIC STAR" where her new owners made a failed attempt to operate her as a casino gambling vessel.  The boat was dismantled in 2003.   Photo courtesy of Jack Morelli.  SHAMROCK, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1965  The "SHAMROCK" from Point Pleasant, NJ and skippered by Captain Jack Bogan circa 1965.   She was built in 1953 by the Van Sant Boat Yard, Atlantic City, NJ.   The "SHAMROCK" specialized in Fluke fishing from June through September, and Cod and wreck fishing at other times.   In 1971, Captain Bob Pennington bought the boat and she became his first "SEA DEVIL".  TEAL, Great Kills, NY – 1965  Captain Fred Moore is putting the last touches of paint on the "TEAL" before the start of the 1965 fishing season.   The "TEAL" hauled out twice a year at Peterson's Boatyard, Great Kills Harbor, and sometimes hauled out a third time if they damaged the propellers or shafts during their night bluefishing trips.   Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.  VIKING STARLITE, Montauk, NY – 1965  Built in 1959 at Deltaville, VA as the "TREBOR V" from Miami, FL, she later became Captains Carl and Paul Forsberg's "VIKING STARLITE" from Montauk, NY.   She later sailed as the "MISS BABYLON" from Captree, NY.   The "VIKING STARLITE" was the first vessel to bring recreational divers to the wreck of the passenger liner "ANDREA DORIA".  ZEPHYR II, Bayonne, NJ – 1965  The "ZEPHYR II" from Bayonne City Dock, Bayonne, NJ circa 1965.   She was owned and operated by Captain Carl Rafi Jr. and Captain Herman Grothues.   She was built in 1948 at Cambridge, MD as the "HERON".   She later became the “JACE II”, Belmar, NJ and was renamed the "ZEPHYR II" in 1962.   In 1974, the "ZEPHYR II" sank near 'Ambrose Tower' and Captain Grothues went down with the vessel.   Photo courtesy of Captain 'Butch' Rafi. 
BLACK WHALE, Beach Haven, NJ – 1966  Captain Herb Schoenberg’s "BLACK WHALE" from Beach Haven, NJ circa 1966.   Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ built the "BLACK WHALE" in 1959.   She later sailed as Captain Anthony Jannatty's "HOLIDAY" from Forked River, NJ.  BRONISLAW III, Gerritsen Beach, NY – 1966  The "BRONISLAW III" is shown leaving for a day at sea with a group of orphan children from the now-defunct Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY.   Each year, the Tamaqua Club fleet would sponsor a fishing outing for the orphans living at Mount Loretto.     The "BRONISLAW III" was built in1941 at Curtis Bay, MD as the US Navy Liberty Launch "USN C-2185".   Purchased as surplus, she became Captain Claus Syvertsen's "MATTIE".   She later sailed as Captain John Swanson's "SEA HORSE" from Gerritsen Beach before sailing as the "BRONISLAW III".   She later sailed as the "AQUARIAN II" and was dismantled 1986.   Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.  CAPTAIN CRAMER, Sea Isle City, NJ – 1966  The "CAPTAIN CRAMER" from Sea Isle City, NJ circa 1966.   This one was built in 1961 by Price Boat Yard, Deltaville, VA and replaced their older boat.  CAPT. JOSEPH II, Captree, NY – 1966  Captain Stanley Joseph's "CAPT. JOSEPH II" from Captree, NY circa 1966.   This classic 72-footer was built in 1964 by Gillikin Boat Works at Harkers Island, NC and had four GM 6-71 diesel engines turning three propellers (two engines were connected in tandem to the center propeller shaft.)   She later became one of the late Captain Tommy Marconi's "PILOT II" boats from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   Sadly, the boat burned to the waterline during a Flounder fishing trip in the fall of 1982.  DELMAR III, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1966  Captain Al Gable's "DELMAR III" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ circa 1966.   Price Boat Yard built her in 1965 at Deltaville, VA.   She later sailed as Captain Clem Esposito's "COMMODORE" from Island Park, NY and is currently sailing from Highlands, NJ as Captain Stan Zagleski's "ELAINE-B II".   Photo courtesy of Ray Soyka. 
HELEN H II, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  The "HELEN H II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1966.   The boat was built in 1964 at Bena, VA as the "SEA ROVER".   She relocated to Sheepshead Bay as the "HELEN H II".   She was actually the third vessel named "HELEN H", but the only one with a numeral designation after the name.   She was replaced in 1975 and became Captains Walter Specht and Neil Delanoy's the "LADY ANN" from Captree, NY.   She is currently sailing as Captain Ken Birkmire's "TARYN-ANN" from Captree, NY.  HIGHLANDER, Highlands, NJ – 1966  Captain Bill Petrasek's "HIGHLANDER" from Highlands, NJ circa 1966.   She was built in 1942 at Solomons, MD as the US Army "T-21".   She was later sold and converted to a commercial dragger and is currently named the "SGT. JONES" and sails from North Port, NY.   Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.  ISLAND QUEEN, Cape May, NJ – 1966  The "ISLAND QUEEN" from Cape May, NJ with Captain George Gadsby circa 1966.   She was built in 1963 by Gillikin Boat Works, Harkers Island, NC as the "CAPT. GEO".   She was later the "ALOMA" and then became the "ISLAND QUEEN"  JO-ANN, Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  The "JO-ANN" was owned by Edward Sarubbi and was one of several smaller open boats to sail from the Tamaqua Fishing Station located at Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY.   The "JO-ANN" is shown leaving on a fishing trip with a group of orphan children from the now-defunct Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY.   Each year, the Tamaqua fleet would sponsor a fishing outing for the orphans living at Mount Loretto.   Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.  MAN O' WAR, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1966  Captain Joe Burns' "MAN O' WAR" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1966.   Built in 1943 by Higgins Industries at New Orleans, LA as the US Navy Patrol Torpedo boat "PT-305", she was purchased in 1953 by the Bogan Family who sailed her as the "JERSEY" from Brielle, New Jersey.   In 1963, she sailed for one season as Captain Bill Egerter 's "DAUNTLESS" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ before being sold to Captain Joe Burns in 1964.   Captain Burns operated the "MAN O' WAR" until 1973.  This World War II Patrol Torpedo boat is currently undergoing a full restoration at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, LA under her original name, the "PT-305". : 2015, Mel Deak, Mike Daniewicz, Mike's Maritime Memorabilia 
MATTIE, Gerritsen Beach, NY – 1966  The "MATTIE" was built 1946 by Peterson Boat Yard at Staten Island, NY as the "THERESA L."   Like the "BRONISLAW III", she also fished with groups of orphan children from Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY.   Notice the Nun standing in the center of the stern.   According to rumor, a Sister was assigned to each vessel and she was equipped with a ruler to measure the catch -- and maintain order.  Ouch!   Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.  MISS REGNILLES II, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1966  Captain Ed Sellinger's "MISS REGNILLES II" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1966.   Gillikin Boat Works built her in 1961 at Harkers Island, NC.   In 1978, she was sold and became Captain Arnold 'Speedy' Hubert's  "SPEEDY VII" from Captree, NY.   The following year, she sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn for one season as Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER". She later relocated to Sea Isle City, New Jersey as the "MISS SEA ISLE II" and then sailed as the "CHALLENGER" for a short period of time.   She last sailed as the "CAPT. COLLET" from Atlantic City, NJ.   Dropped from documentation in 2006, she was last seen in 2009 abandoned in a Virginia boatyard and her present fate is unknown.  NADA-JANE, Cape May, NJ – 1966  Captain Walter Schick's "NADA-JANE" from Cape May, NJ circa 1966.   The "NADA JANE" was built in 1957 by Price Boat Yard at Deltaville, VA.   She would later sail as the "VIKING DIVER" and has since been dismantled.  PALACE III, Hoboken, NJ and Manhattan, NY – 1966  Captain Edward Baletti Sr.'s "PALACE III" from Hoboken, NJ circa 1966.   After leaving Hoboken’s Pier 16 at 6:30 AM, she made a second stop at Manhattan’s Battery Pier 1 at 6:45 AM before heading off to the fishing grounds.   She was built in 1942 at East Greenwich, RI as the US Navy Submarine Chaser "SC-1322".   The US Navy gave her to the Baletti family after World War II as compensation for damages done to the converted steam yacht "PALACE", which was seized for the war effort.   She sailed from Hoboken, NJ until the late 1970’s when she was sold, relocated to Florida and renamed "THE LORDS MERCY".  SEA RANGER, Belmar, NJ – 1966  The "SEA RANGER" from Belmar, NJ circa 1966.   The vessel was built in 1944 at Bristol, RI as the US Navy air-sea rescue boat "C-77461".   After the end of World War II, the Navy transferred her to the US Coast Guard and she was renamed the "CG-63050".   In 1949, she was sold as surplus and converted to party boat fishing.   She originally sailed as Captain David Shinn’s "BOBBY II" and was later renamed the "SEA JET".   In 1966, she became Captain Joe Galluccio’s "SEA RANGER".  In April of 1955, she was sailing as the "BOBBY II" under the command of Captain David Shinn and while she was returning from a day of fishing at the Cholera Banks, the 7,652-ton freighter "SS PRESIDENT BUCHANAN" struck her.  The collision sheared off a 13-foot section of the bow of the 63-foot "BOBBY II".   Because of her military construction (which included double forward crash bulkheads), she did not sink and was even able to return to Belmar under her own power.   Hundreds of people flocked to the Belmar Marine Basin to get a first-hand look at this amazing vessel.   The "BOBBY II" was later repaired at Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ and renamed the "SEA JET".   Photo courtesy of Captain Joe Galluccio. : Belmar 
SEA RANGER, Belmar, NJ – 1966  Captain Joe Galluccio's "SEA RANGER" is sitting high n' dry for her annual haulout at Zuber's Seacoast Basin, Brielle, NJ.   She was formerly the "BOBBY II" and "SEA JET".   Photo courtesy of Captain Joe Galluccio. : Belmar  TAMPA III, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  Captain Rocky Becker’s "TAMPA III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1966.   Stevenson Boat Works, Staten Island, NY built her in 1963 and she sailed from Pier 2 at Sheepshead Bay.   On July 4, 1970, she was heading home in a dense fog after a night of bluefishing, and was struck by the freighter "MORMACGLEN" and sank.   Her skipper that evening was Captain Norman Mordaunt; he was credited with averting a major tragedy by swerving away from the freighter moments before the collision.   Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.  VIKING II, Staten Island, NY – 1966  Captain Andy Kondracki's "VIKING II" from Shoals Dock at Great Kills, Staten Island, NY circa 1966.   She was built in 1943 at Miami, FL for the US Navy as the 63-foot air-sea rescue boat "ARB-9460".   At the conclusion of World War II, she was sold as surplus and began her party boat career sailing from Wildwood, NJ as Captain George Sinn's "MAROLYN".   Captain George Sinn later sold this vessel to Captain Kondracki.  WHITBY III, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  Captain 'Herbie' Hammer's "WHITBY III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn circa 1966.   The "WHITBY III" was the last converted World War I Sub Chaser to sail from Sheepshead Bay.   She left from Pier 9 as the 'early boat' with a 5:00 AM departure time.  The Elco Boat Works, Bayonne, NJ built the boat in 1917 as the US Navy Sub Chaser "SC-101".   She was sold as surplus after the end of World War I and converted to a party fishing boat.   She first sailed as Captain Steve Wischerth's "FIDUS" from the Canarsie section of Brooklyn, and then as Captain Edward Baletti's "PALACE II" from Hoboken, New Jersey before becoming the "WHITBY III" in 1948.  On a side note… when Captain Tony 'Mo' Barbato was running night Bluefish trips on the "WHITBY III", he found the boat's original logbook and it contained entries indicating that the "SC-101" sailed completely around the world on three occasions.  MARLIN III, Montauk, NY – 1967  The "MARLIN III" from Montauk, NY and skippered by Captain Dick Rade circa 1967.   Full day Cod and Pollock trips only cost $8 bucks.   She was built in 1966 by Machine & Supply Co., Beaufort, NC.   She was later renamed the "CAPT. LEITCH IV" and then as the "MISS GREENPORT".   In 1998, she was sold to Captain Ed Beneducci and he remodeled and renamed her the "MARLIN VI" from Montauk, NY.   It then sailed as Captain Jeff Gutman's "ANGLER" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   Since 2009, the boat has been sailing as Captain Dave Paris' "CAPT. DAVE II" from Sheepshead Bay, NY.   Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.