1BUCKY II, Cape May, NJ – 1958 Captain Lavallette Buck's "BUCKY II" from "Buck's Landing" in Cape May, NJ circa 1958. She was built in 1955 at Ruark, VA and originally sailed as the "CAPT. STETSER". The "BUCKY II" was later sold and relocated to New Hampshire and sailed as the "LADY ANN".
2COLUMBIA, Brielle, NJ – 1958 The "COLUMBIA" from Bogan's Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1958. She was a 45-footer built in 1940 by the Johnson Brothers Boat Works, Bay Head, NJ for the Bogan family. She was operated by Captains Jack Bogan and Fred Lamb. Photo courtesy of Brielle Bait & Tackle.
3OLD PAL, Brooklyn, NY – 1958 The "OLD PAL" from Canarsie, Brooklyn, NY and operated by Captain Kaspar Bonsignore circa 1958. Built in 1946 by the Scott McBurney Boat Yard at Brooklyn, NY, she was later operated by his son, Frank Bonsignore.
4LADY JESS, Babylon, NY – 1958 Built in 1951 at Bayshore, NY the "LADY JESS" was operated by Captain George Benson. With her varnished topsides, she is a good example of the fine woodwork found aboard many vessels of the era. Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.
5NADA JANE, Wildwood, NJ – 1958 The new "NADA-JANE" from Cape May, NJ circa 1958. The "NADA JANE" was built in 1957 for Captain Walter Schick by the Price Boat Yard at Deltaville, VA. She later sailed as the "VIKING DIVER" and has since been dismantled. Photo courtesy of Jerry O’Flynn.
6PARAMOUNT, Brielle, NJ – 1958 The "PARAMOUNT" from Brielle, NJ circa 1958. Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ built the "PARAMOUNT" in 1958 and Captain James Bogan Sr. manned the helm. She later became the "HOLIDAY", then the "DUTCHESS" and then the "FRIENDSHIP II" from Sheepshead Bay. Photo courtesy of Dave Bogan Sr.
7PORGY II, Cape May, NJ – 1958 The "PORGY II" from Cape May Marina, Cape May, NJ circa 1958. She was operated by Captain Ed Reilly and the First Mate was Paul Thompson. The "PORGY II" specialized in bottom fishing during the spring and summer, and went Cod fishing during the off-season. The "PORGY III" replaced her in 1962. Captain Reilly then renamed the "PORGY II" as the "FIESTA" and it was the first boat from Cape May that made 4-hour fishing trips.
8RAMBLER, Belmar, NJ – 1958 The party boat "RAMBLER" from Belmar, NJ and skippered by Captain Frank Cline circa 1958. The "RAMBLER" was built in 1950 at Bordentown, NJ. She was replaced in 1963 by the Price built "RAMBLER II" and became the "LITTLE RED".
9ROCKET II, Brooklyn, NY – 1958 The party boat "ROCKET II" sailing from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY in 1958. Captain Laddie Martin operated the "ROCKET II". He was the son of Captain Dave Martin (the operator of the "GIRALDA".) Built in 1942 as the 104-foot US Navy Air–Sea Rescue Boat "P-106", she was converted for party boat fishing after the end of World War II. She was named the "SILVER STAR" before becoming the "ROCKET II".
10SEA FOAM III, Atlantic City, NJ – 1958 The "SEA FOAM III" sailed from Starn's Pier at Atlantic City. She was built in 1952 at Bena, Virginia and was owned by Captain 'Archie' Brown and operated by Captain Joe Pettingill. She would later sail as the "SEA QUEEN" and last sailed as the commercial dragger "SONNIE W". Her present fate is unknown. Photo courtesy of Don Nyce.
11SPRAY II, Belmar, NJ – 1958 Captain Pete Saro's "SPRAY II" getting ready for another season of fishing for those "Jersey Shore Jumbo Fluke". She was built in 1914 at Brooklyn, NY as Captain John Michaels' "AMERICA" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. In 1948, Captain Pete Saro Sr. purchased her and moved her to Belmar, NJ.
12TAMBO II, Brooklyn, NY – 1958 The "TAMBO II" circa 1958 was skippered by Captain Anillo 'Neil' Perillo and sailed from Canarsie, Brooklyn, NY. Check out those single safety rails! She was built in 1922 at Brooklyn, NY and was originally owned by Captain Bill Cronan; he later sold her to Captain Perillo.
13TAMPA II, Brooklyn, NY – 1958 Captain Rocky Becker's "TAMPA II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1958. The boat was built in 1929 at Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY and originally sailed from the Canarsie section of Brooklyn and then from Sheepshead Bay as Captain Jack Weidner's "PIONEER II". In 1963, Captain Becker replaced her with the larger "TAMPA III" and she became Captain Joe Vialotti's "JOVIAL II". She lost her certificate of inspection in 1979 and her fate in unknown.
14SURVIVOR IV, Island Park, NY – 1958 Captain James 'Wes' Giffenberg's "SURVIVOR IV" from the Survivor Fishing Station located at Island Park, NY. The "SURVIVOR IV" was built in 1955 at Deltaville, VA. Photo courtesy of Captain Nick Manzari.
15YANK, Advertising Sign, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1958 Advertising Sign for the "YANK", Point Pleasant, New Jersey circa 1958. Built in 1942 by the Mantis Yacht Co. at Camden, NJ as the World War II US Navy Submarine Chaser "SC-635", she was sold as surplus after the war ended and became Captain Harry Tonk's "YANK" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.
She was sold in 1959 to Captain Henry Williams who sailed her as the "BRONX QUEEN" from the Bronx, NY. On December 20, 1989, she encountered rough seas while Whiting fishing near the entrance to Ambrose Channel. She lost a plank in her bow causing her to sink in less than twenty minutes.
16BETTY W. II, Brooklyn, NY – 1959 Captain Ken Wright's "BETTY W II" at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY shortly after her 1959 launching at the Scott McBurney Boat Yard in Brooklyn, NY. The "BETTY W II" was THE Bluefish boat at 'the Bay' during this era, chumming with all the anglers along one side of the boat. Captain Ken had such a loyal following that on many days, if he did not know you, he sent you to fish on another boat, and saved the rail space for customers he knew. Imagine that happening today!
Captain Ken later sold the "BETTY W II" to his First Mate, the well-known Captain Al Coley, who continued to operate the vessel from Sheepshead Bay. Sold again in 1983, she became the "SUNSHINE III" from Sheepshead Bay. In 1987, she ran aground near Rockaway Inlet and was dismantled.
17CHIANTI, Brooklyn NY – 1959 Captain Hyman Vogel's "CHIANTI" from Sheepshead Bay circa 1959. The "CHIANTI" was one of several charter boats docked at Sheepshead Bay directly across the street from the famous Lundy Brothers seafood restaurant. She was built in 1949 at Brooklyn, NY and was originally owned by Captain John Ummarino. In 1970, the "CHIANTI" was sold to Captain 'Bobby' Ivone who continued to sail her from Sheepshead Bay. She was dropped from documentation and her fate is unknown.
18DOLLY N, Point Pleasant, NJ – 1959 The "DOLLY N" from Ken's Landing, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1959. She was operated by Captain Mel Noe. Formerly, she was a Boston, MA fireboat that was converted by the Bogan family and was the original "DAUNTLESS" from Brielle, NJ.
19DOROTHY B, Brooklyn, NY – 1959 Captain Frank Bradshaw's "DOROTHY B" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1959. Built in 1912 at Brooklyn, NY, she originally sailed as Captain Anton 'Tony' Lundy's "R.C. LUNDY". She was a member of the Sheepshead Bay Boat Owners Association as indicated by the "S.B.B.O.A." painted on her overhang.
This was a family business operated by the three Bradshaw brothers and other family members... Captain Frank operated the "DOROTHY B". Captain Joe Bradshaw often worked the deck and he is leaning over the rail at the bow holding a gaff. Visible under the overhang just behind the wheelhouse is Captain Frank's wife Helen Bradshaw (dressed in a white blouse and hat.) The third brother, Walter Bradshaw, took care of the books and other business matters. Photo courtesy of John Cairns
20ELAINE B, Brooklyn, NY – 1959 Captain Izzie Bauman's "ELAINE B" along Pier 6 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1959. The "ELAINE B" was built in 1940 by Ernest Fiedler at Bergen Beach Boatworks, Brooklyn, NY. Captain Stan Zagleski Sr. later purchased the "ELAINE B" and relocated her to Highlands, New Jersey.
21HAPPY, Atlantic Highlands, NJ – 1959 Captain Thomas Spitznagle's "HAPPY" backing in to her slip along Pier 1 at Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey in 1959. She was built in 1948 by Peterson Boatyard at Great Kills, Staten Island, NY and later sailed as Captain Bill Black's "ANGLER".
22JAMAICA, Brielle, NJ – 1959 The "JAMAICA" was built in 1957 by Stowman Shipyards in Dorchester, NJ and was powered by two GM 110 diesel engines. She later sailed as the "DAUNTLESS" and then as Captain Francis Bogan's "ATLANTIS". Later sold and remodeled, she then sailed as the "SEA STAR II" from Cape May, NJ. Alas, she was last seen nameless and tied to a commercial fishing pier at Barnegat Light, NJ.
23JET, Brooklyn, NY – 1959 Captain Billy Doll’s original "JET" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1959. Built in 1930 by Ernest Fiedler's Bergen Beach Boatworks at Brooklyn, NY, she first sailed as the private yacht "ELAINE". The boat cost $13,000 to build and was the only yacht that Fiedler built.
Captain Christian Fuchs later purchased the boat and converted her to a party fishing boat, the "ELAINE" from Sheepshead Bay. He removed the full cabin and replaced it with a wheelhouse. She then sailed as Captain George Porter's "LADDY II", and later as the "TEX II" before making her way back to Sheepshead Bay as the "JET". Captain Billy finally sold the boat back to George Porter and it became his "PRIME TIME" from Captree, NY. Photo courtesy of John Cairns.
24MAROLYN, Wildwood Crest, NJ – 1959 Captain George Sinn's "MAROLYN" from Wildwood Crest, NJ circa 1959. Built during World War II in 1943 at Miami, FL as the 63-foot US Navy air-sea rescue vessel "ARB-9460", she was sold as surplus after the end of the war, renamed the "MAROLYN" and converted for party fishing. The boat later became Captain Andy Kondracki's VIKING II and sailed from Shoal's Dock at Great Kills, Staten Island, NY.
25MISS MOORE, Great Kills, NY – 1959 The "MISS MOORE" from Shoals Dock, Great Kills, Staten Island, NY circa 1959. She was skippered by Captains Everett "Eve" and Freddie Moore. The "MISS MOORE" was a converted 63-foot World War II Air-Sea Rescue boat. She was previously named the "SUDS III" and sailed from Atlantic City. NJ. She later became Captain Ron Santee’s "FISHERMEN" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.
26MOHAWK, Wildwood, NJ – 1959 Captain Ed Craig's "MOHAWK" from Wildwood, NJ circa 1959. She was built in 1954 by Van Sant Boat Yard at Rock Hall, MD. She later relocated to Delaware where she sailed as the "CAPT. BILL" and after that as the "MISS HERRING BAY".
27PARAMOUNT II, Brielle, NJ – 1959 The "PARAMOUNT II" from Brielle, NJ circa 1959. She was operated by Captain John Bogan III. Built in 1955 by Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ as the "PARAMOUNT", she was powered by two GM 110 diesel engines and was the first party boat in New Jersey equipped with radar. She was later renamed the "PARAMOUNT II" and then remodeled and renamed the "MARINER". Afterwards, she became the "ATLANTIS" and in 1977, she was sold to Captain Fred Bird, who remodeled her again and renamed her the "FLYING CLOUD" from Montauk, NY. She still sails from there today and specializes in Fluke fishing during the summer and Porgy fishing during the off-season.
28PILOT II, SWANEE and YANKEE, Brooklyn, NY – 1959 This 1959 photo of Pier 7 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY depicts Captain Harry Phillips' "PILOT II", Captain Otto Behensky's "SWANEE" and Captain Frank Palsgraf's "YANKEE". Ernest Fiedler built the "PILOT II" in 1937, the "SWANEE" was built in 1938 at Patchogue, NY and the "YANKEE" was built in 1944 at Bristol, RI as the US Navy Air Sea Rescue Boat "C-77463". Captain Harry Phillips was also a member of the Sheepshead Bay Boat Owners Association as indicated by the "S.B.B.O.A." painted on the overhang of the "PILOT II".
The "SWANEE" was later owned by Captain Fred Ardolino and then sold to Captain Charlie Roth and sailed as the "WOODEN SHOE II" from Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY.
The "YANKEE" was later relocated to Freeport, NY and sailed as the "RAIDER", and then as Captain Mike Abbaticchio's "CAPT. MIKE II" from Howard Beach, NY, before returning to Sheepshead Bay as the "RAINBOW".
A young Tom Marconi started his career as a mate on the "PILOT II" and Captain Phillips became his mentor and sold the business to him when he retired in 1974. In 1983, Captain Tom sold the "PILOT II" to the Blue Water Yacht and Fishing Club and it sailed as the "BLUE WATER" until 1995 when its documentation expired.
29REX, Brielle, NJ – 1959 The "REX" from Bogan's Brielle Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1959. The 65-foot vessel was built for the US Army in 1944 by M/M (Messieurs) Davis & Sons, Inc. at Solomons, Maryland as the "T-180". The Bogan family bought the boat and converted her for fishing in 1949 and Captains James Bogan Sr., John Bogan III, Kurt Pretshnur and George Chapman operated the boat. After her stint as the "REX", she became Captain Norman Pearce’s "CHAPPIE IV". She is still sailing today from Wanchese, NC (as a dragger) and still carries the "CHAPPIE IV" name. Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.
30TONE B, Brooklyn, NY – 1959 The "TONE B" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1959. The "TONE B" was built for Captain Anthony Blanken in 1946 by Peterson Boatyard, Great Kills, NY. Later, Captain Charlie Locurto purchased her, but she was sold again to Captain Mike Buonacquista and relocated to Highlands, NJ. In 1992, she was dismantled.