NANCY JUNE, Brooklyn, NY – 1956  The "NANCY JUNE" was built in 1926 at New York, NY as a gasoline powered motor yacht named "UTILITIE".   She was sold and converted to a passenger carrying vessel in 1946.   In 1948, Captain John Johnsen purchased the boat, named her the "NANCY JUNE" and began to sail her from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   She was later owned by Stilluf Stillufsen and then by Captain Joseph Peplowski and after that by his son Raymond.   She was dropped from documentation in 1986 and her fate is unknown.  PENNSY, Brielle, NJ – 1956  The "PENNSY" from Brielle, NJ circa 1956.   She was owned by the Bogan family and operated by Captain Roy Skillman.   The "PENNSY" was a converted World War II PT Boat, "PT-457" built in 1944 by Higgins Industries Inc. New Orleans, LA.  US Coast Guard regulations at the time she was converted to party boat fishing required vessels longer than 65-feet to have an on-board engineer (along with a captain.)   Since she was originally 78 feet in length, the Bogan family shortened her to 64-feet 11-inches to circumvent the requirement.  In 1957, Captain Dave Bogan Sr. took over the helm of the "PENNSY".   The Bogan family later sold her and she became Captain Al Wirth's "FALCON" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.   She was later stored at a Staten Island, NY boat yard for a few years and was finally dismantled in 1991.   Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.  TONE B., Brooklyn, NY – 1956  The "TONE B" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1956.   The "TONE B" was built for Captain Anthony Blanken in 1946 by Peterson Boatyard at Great Kills, NY.   Later, Captain Charlie Locurto purchased her, but she was sold again to Captain Mike Buonacquista and relocated to Highlands, NJ.   She was dismantled in 1992.  TUNA II, Brooklyn, NY – 1956  Captain Emil Eifert and Captain Elie Cantor's "TUNA II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn circa 1956.   She was built in 1931 at Brooklyn, NY and originally sailed as the "CATHERINE M".    She was later owned by Captain Carmine Matteria and was one of the last 'old time' charter boats to sail from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.   The "TUNA II" was dismantled in 1995.  RANGER, Belmar, NJ –1956  Captain John Kocsik’s "RANGER" from Belmar Marine Basin, Belmar, NJ circa 1956.   The "RANGER" was built in 1938 at Brooklyn, NY and she originally sailed from Perth Amboy, NJ before Captain Kocsik relocated her to Belmar, NJ. 
Sister Ships RANGER and RAMBLER – 1956 / 1996  The photos of these two sister ships were taken forty years apart.   Both boats were built side-by-side in 1950 at Bordentown, NJ and the only significant difference in the boats is the number of portholes on the forward trunk cabin.   At the time the photos were taken, Captain Frank Cline's "RAMBLER" sailed from Belmar, NJ and Captain Jack Sweeney's "RANGER" sailed from Atlantic Highlands, NJ.    (The "RANGER" was originally built as Captain Artie Kaser's "CAVALIER" from Perth Amboy, NJ.)  SPORTSMAN, Brooklyn, NY – 1956  The "SPORTSMAN" sailed from King's Plaza in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, NY and was the last vessel owned and operated by Captain Steve Wischerth.   She was built in 1915 as a US Coast Guard cutter and was later converted for party boat fishing.   She first fished from Montauk, NY before relocating to Flatbush.  VAMP, Wildwood, NJ – 1956  Captain Oscar Wilson's "VAMP" from Wildwood, NJ circa 1956.   The "VAMP" was built in 1940 at Amburg, VA.  CALVIN B II, Brooklyn, NY – 1957  Captain Frank LaGrassa's "CALVIN B II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1950.   She was built in 1947 at Brooklyn, NY for Captain John Bogart who sailed her for one season and then sold her to Captain LaGrassa.   She sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn until 1960 when she was lost in a fire.  FLYING D II, Brooklyn, NY – 1957  Captain Frank 'Lupo' Knuth's "FLYING D II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1957.   She was built in 1934 by Ernest Fiedler of Bergen Beach Boat Works at Brooklyn, NY.   She sailed from Sheepshead Bay under the command of Captain Knuth until she was sold in 1975 to Captain Gary Fagan who relocated her to Belmar, New Jersey as his "BLUEFIN".   She was later owned by Captain Brian Cade and after that was converted to a commercial lobster boat.   She was dismantled in 1988. 
MISS BARNEGAT LIGHT, Barnegat Light, NJ – 1957  Captain John Larson's "MISS BARNEGAT LIGHT" from Barnegat Light, New Jersey circa 1957.   Built in 1954 by Price Boat Yard at Deltaville, VA, she sailed from Barnegat Light until 1967 when she was sold and became the "LADY MARCIA ANNE" from Portsmouth, NH.    She then returned to New Jersey in 1986 and became Captain Gary Bouchard's "MISTY MORN" from South Amboy, NJ.   She last sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY as the "HOLIDAY" before being dropped from documentation in 2003.  ROCKET II, Brooklyn, NY – 1957  Captain Dave 'Laddie' Martin's "ROCKET II" was built in 1942 at Atlantic City, NJ as the 104-foot US Navy Air-Sea Rescue Boat "P-106".   She sailed as the "SILVER STAR" before joining the Sheepshead Bay fleet in 1953.   She was sold in 1967 to Captain Matthew Hughes and joined his Boston Harbor Cruise Fleet at Boston, MA where she continued to sail as a party fishing boat until relocated to the Bahamas in 1974.  BIG BOLO, Atlantic City, NJ – 1957  The "BIG BOLO" was a converted US Navy Liberty Launch.   Built in 1940 at Bremerton, WA, she originally sailed as the "USN-14652".   She was owned and operated by Captain Frank Deebold Jr., who sailed her from Starn's Pier at Atlantic City, NJ.  CHIEF, Belmar, NJ – 1957  Captain Ralph Mertineit's "CHIEF" from Belmar, NJ circa 1957.   Built in 1930 at Essex, CT, she originally sailed as the "RUBY".   Captain Mertineit specialized in Jersey shore Fluke fishing.   In 1959, he replaced her with the Price-built "CHIEF II".  DIXIE Charter Boat, Brooklyn, NY – 1957  This 1957 photo shows Captain Irving Moss' charter boat "DIXIE" from Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY.   Captain Moss became a party boat operator in 1967 when he purchased the "SEA PIGEON II" and relocated to Sheepshead Bay.   Photo Courtesy of Captain Ron Moss. 
JAMAICA, Brielle, NJ – 1957  The original "JAMAICA", from Bogan’s Brielle Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1957.   Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ built this 65 foot boat in 1957 and two GM 110 diesels provided the power.   Captain Howard Bogan Sr. initially operated the "JAMAICA" and was later followed by Captain Dave Bogan Sr.   This particularly nice picture was taken before a dodger was built around the pilothouse.   She later became Captain William Egerter Jr's "DAUNTLESS" and sailed from Broadway Basin, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.   In 1974, she became the "ATLANTIS".   Afterwards, she was sold, remodeled, re-powered, relocated to Cape May and renamed the "SEA STAR II".   Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.   [This is Mel's favorite picture... What a beauty!]  LITTLE CHAMP, Barnegat Light, NJ – 1957  The "LITTLE CHAMP" was built in 1932 at Dorchester, NJ.   She originally operated as a party boat under the command of Captain Horace Davis who sailed her from Fortescue, NJ.   She was later sold to Captain Anthony 'Tony' Garbacki who sailed her from Barnegat Light, NJ.   After that, Captain Frank Rehm purchased the boat and continued to sail her from that port.  LYNN J., Wildwood, NJ – 1957  Captain Otto Duhrkoff's "LYNN J" sailed from the Ship Ahoy Dock at Rio Grande Bridge at Wildwood, NJ.   The dock's location at the foot of the Rio Grande Bridge is where the Wildwood Party Boat fleet continues to sail from today.   Built in 1930 at Reeds Beach, NJ, the boat originally sailed as the "SALLIE II".  MAJESTIC, Brooklyn, NY – 1957  The "MAJESTIC" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1957.  Captain Joe Majestic operated the boat and John Majestic built her in 1946 at Brooklyn, NY.   Captain Marty Haines Jr. bought the "MAJESTIC" in 1967 and sailed it from Perth Amboy, NJ until 1972.  It was on this boat that Captain Marty earned his nickname "Captain Midnight" because of his late night returns from 'Football' Bluefin tuna fishing at the Mud Hole.  PIPER, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1957  Captain George 'Blacky' Walsh's "PIPER" sailing from Spike's Fishery, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1957.   Built in 1942 at Brooklyn, NY as the US Navy Bomb Target Boat "USN C-1997", she was purchased by the Bogan family in 1951 and was converted into a party boat.   She sailed as the "DAUNTLESS" from Brielle, NJ before Captain Walsh purchased her.   The "PIPER" was one of the first party boats to offer half day fishing as her painted hull advertises.   Photo Courtesy of Cathy and 'Blacky' Walsh. 
RANGER, Brooklyn, NY – 1957  Captain Mike Scarpati's original party boat "RANGER" from Pier 6 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1957.   She is a converted 1940 U.S. Army Bomb Target Boat, a vessel that towed targets used for open water bombing practice.   In 1959, Captain Scarpati bought a replacement boat and sold the original boat to Captain Jack Endean who moved her to Point Pleasant, NJ.   Captain Scarpati told Captain Endean that since the two boats were located in different states, he could continue sailing her as the "RANGER".   She later briefly sailed as Captain Norman Mordaunt's "FURY" from Belmar, NJ and lastly as Captain Charles Shirley's BLACK HAWK from Belmar, NJ.  REGNILLES, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1957  Captain Ed Sellinger's "REGNILLES" (Sellinger spelled backwards) from Point Pleasant, NJ circa 1957.   Captain Sellinger was an expert welder and personally built this steel hulled vessel in 1951 at Newark, NJ.   In 1960, Captain Sellinger replaced her with the "MISS REGNILLES".  SAINT THERESA, Atlantic City, NJ – 1957  The "SAINT THERESA" was built in 1956 at Van Sant Boat Yard, Rock Hall, MD.   She was owned by Captain John Hale and operated by Captain Andrew 'Andy' Applegate Jr.   After only one season, she was sold to Captain Walter Siegler and became his "MARIE S I" sailing from Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ.   She later sailed as the "LAZY BONES" from Highlands, NJ and is presently sailing as Captain Clem Kacergis' "YANKEE" from Harwich Port, MA.   Photo courtesy of Don Nyce.  SEA JET, Belmar, NJ – 1957  The "SEA JET" was built in 1944 at Bristol, RI as the US Navy Air Sea Rescue Boat "C-77461".   After the end of World War II, the Navy transferred her to the US Coast Guard and she was renamed the "CG-63050".   In 1949, she was declared a surplus vessel and sold to Captain David Shinn.   He converted the boat to party boat fishing, named her the "BOBBY II" and operated the boat from Belmar, NJ.  In April of 1955, as she was returning from a day of fishing at the 'Cholera Banks', the 7,652-ton freighter "SS PRESIDENT BUCHANAN" struck her.   The collision sheared off a 13-foot section of the bow of the 63-foot "BOBBY II".   Because of her military construction (which included double forward crash bulkheads), she did not sink and was even able to return to Belmar under her own power.   Hundreds of people flocked to the Belmar Marine Basin to get a first-hand look at this amazing vessel.  The "BOBBY II" was repaired at Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ and Captain Shinn renamed the boat as the "SEA JET".   In 1966, she became Captain Joe Galluccio's "SEA RANGER".   Photo courtesy of Captain Norman Mordaunt.  AMBERJACK II, Brooklyn, NY – 1958  Captain James Ardolino's "AMBERJACK II" sailing from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1958. 
BIG JIM II, Cape May, NJ – 1958  Stowman Shipyards, Dorchester, NJ built the "BIG JIM II" in 1957 for Captain Albert Dulinski.   She later sailed as the "MISS POINT LOOKOUT", the "WHITE EAGLE III", the "CAPT. MIKE", the "SEA HUNTER" and is currently sailing as the "TRADEWINDS III" from Bowers Beach, DE.   Photo courtesy of Captain 'Jack' Bogan.  CARRIE D II, Brooklyn, NY – 1958  Captain Sal Dragonetti's party boat "CARRIE D II" sailing from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1958.   She was built in 1920 as Captain Harry Rigby’s "BROOKLYN".  CARRIE D II, Brooklyn, NY – 1966  The "CARRIE D II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1966.   In this picture, the mast has been removed and a forward cabin and overhang on the rear of the wheelhouse have been added.  BUCKY II, Cape May, NJ – 1958  Captain Lavallette Buck's "BUCKY II" from "Buck's Landing" in Cape May, NJ circa 1958.   She was built in 1955 at Ruark, VA and originally sailed as the "CAPT. STETSER".   The "BUCKY II" was later sold and relocated to New Hampshire and sailed as the "LADY ANN".  COLUMBIA, Brielle, NJ – 1958  The "COLUMBIA" from Bogan's Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1958.   She was a 45-footer built in 1940 by the Johnson Brothers Boat Works, Bay Head, NJ for the Bogan family.   She was operated by Captains Jack Bogan and Fred Lamb.   Photo courtesy of Brielle Bait & Tackle.