1DIANA, Brielle, NJ – 1946 Captain Bobby Zeigler's "DIANA" is shown with a crowd of anglers in 1946 on the Manasquan River at Brielle, NJ. Like many boats of the era, the "DIANA" served as a Coastal Patrol Vessel during World War II and she is still sporting her military gray painted hull in this photo. Photo courtesy of Rich Johnson.
2DRIFTWOOD V, Babylon, NY – 1946 The "DRIFTWOOD V" was built for Captain William Schaefer in 1932 at Lindenhurst, NY. She was sold in 1942 to Captain A.E. Meisinger, who sailed her from the Babylon Town Dock, Babylon, NY. She was later sold to Captain Edwin Spiess and finally dismantled in 1966.
3EFFORT III, Brooklyn, NY – 1946 Captain Fred Wrege's "EFFORT III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY is shown hauled out at the Caddell Dry Dock and Repair Company at Staten Island, NY circa 1946. The "EFFORT III" was a converted World War I US Navy subchaser (the "SC-122") built in 1917 at Norfolk, VA. She is sporting black hull paint, which hid the rust streaks caused by the steel hull fasteners used in her original construction.
Caddell's was the local shipyard preferred by owners of larger party boats in the New York City region. Founded in 1903 as the Schuyler, Payne and Caddell Ship Repair Company, the company was later renamed. The company continues to service over 300 vessels annually and is the oldest active shipyard in New York Harbor. Photo courtesy of the Captain Fred Wrege and Captain Charles VanDerVoort Families.
4ELMAR III, Brooklyn, NY – 1946 The "ELMAR III" was the converted World War I US Navy Subchaser "SC–186". She was built in 1917 at Upper Nyack, NY. The "ELMAR III" was operated by Captain Gus Rau until 1937, when his son, Captain Frank Rau took over the helm. In 1949, she was replaced with a World War II Subchaser named the "ELMAR".
5GERTRUDE H, Belmar, NJ – 1946 Building the "GERTRUDE H" circa 1946. This is the boat Captain Hugo Harms built himself that later became Captain Fred Kern's "SPRAY II". According to Captain Jack Bogan, she was "built like a battleship". Photo courtesy of Captain Fred Kern.
6GLADYS, Bronx, New York – 1946 The "GLADYS" sailed for two seasons as a party boat from the Throgs Neck section in the Bronx, NY. She was owned and operated by Captains Isaac and Richard Breuss. The "GLADYS" was built in 1929 at Brooklyn, NY and in 1948 she stopped fishing and became small tow vessel.
7MAJESTIC, Brooklyn, NY – 1946 The "MAJESTIC" is pulled out of the shed for the first time circa 1946. Captain Joe and John Majestic built her in 1946 at Brooklyn, NY, and Joe Majestic operated the boat from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.
8PALACE II, Hoboken, NJ – 1946 The "PALACE II" at the dock shortly after the Baletti family took possession of the boat in 1946. A converted 110-foot World War II US Navy SC-497 class Submarine Chaser, the "SC-1057", she was built in 1942 by Gulf Marine Ways, Inc. at Galveston, TX.
During World War II the original "PALACE" was appropriated by the US Government for service as a Coastal Patrol Vessel. During her wartime service she sustained considerable damage and was unable to continue carrying passengers for hire. As a result, the US Government awarded two US Submarine Chasers to the Baletti family as partial compensation for the damage sustained to the original "PALACE", one of them being the near mint condition "SC-1057".
One of the last military accomplishments of the "SC-1057" came on June 6, 1945 when she rescued all 66 survivors of the freighter "AYURUOCA" soon after the vessel sank off the New Jersey coast. (Local fishermen know it as the "Oil Wreck" and it still leaks small amounts of fuel after 70 years on the bottom.) Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.
9TRAVELER, New York, NY – 1946 Before joining the Circle Line Fleet as a sightseeing vessel, the "TRAVELER" was the party fishing boat "NORTH STAR". She was built in 1909 for New York City banker George F. Baker by the Pusey & Jones Shipyard as the luxury yacht "VIKING". Upon the death of Mr. Baker in 1937, she was sold to US Steel Company CEO Myron C. Taylor who renamed her the "FALCON". Later, she was sold again, and began sailing as the "NORTH STAR" on daily deep sea fishing trips from the Battery at Manhattan's southernmost tip. She was appropriated by the US government during World War II and served as a coastal patrol craft. At the conclusion of the war, she was purchased by the Circle Line Fleet and began sightseeing trips around New York Harbor. She last sailed as the sightseeing vessel "HARBOR QUEEN" also in New York City.
10BOBBY, Belmar, NJ – 1947 Captain Dave Shinn's "BOBBY" from Belmar, NJ circa 1947. The "BOBBY" was built in 1929 by Kofoed Boat Works at Keyport, NJ. She later became Captain Jack Ireland’s "CAPT. JACK" from Brielle, NJ. Photo courtesy of Captain Joe Galluccio.
11COMANCHE II, Brooklyn, NY – 1947 Captain 'Laddie' Martin is seen here at the helm of his "COMANCHE II" as she returns to Sheepshead Bay after a daily tuna fishing trip in September 1947. The fare at the time was $15 a person with an 8-person limit and all tackle and bait were included. The trunk cabin is covered with a few nice sized Tuna, Bonito and Skipjacks.
12EFFORT III, Brooklyn, NY – 1947 In this 1947 photo, Captain Fred Wrege's "EFFORT III" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY is underway and heading south to fishing grounds off the Highlands of the New Jersey coast.
13HELEN H, Brooklyn, NY – 1947 This Sheepshead Bay vessel was the second party boat to be named "HELEN H" and owned by Captain Axel 'Alex' Hansen. She was built in 1944 by the Scott McBurney Boat yard at Brooklyn, NY and originally sailed as Captain Phillip Wright's "FIDUS". An interesting note is that in February of 1947, Captains Hansen and Phillip Wright worked out a deal to exchange vessels. As a result, the original "HELEN H" became the "FIDUS" and the "FIDUS" became the new "HELEN H". She would go on to sail as the "HELEN H" until a larger vessel replaced her in 1964 and she was sold and renamed as the "SEVEN SEAS".
14IDEAL, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ – 1947 Captain Doug Macintosh’s original "IDEAL" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ circa 1947. She was built in 1936 at Ruark, VA and was originally owned by Captain Otto Ploetner and sailed from Brielle, NJ. Captain Macintosh purchased the boat in 1942 and relocated the "IDEAL" to Point Pleasant. He would go on to own and operate the "IDEAL I" and become one of the premier Fluke fishing specialists along the Jersey shore. Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.
15NEW YORKER, Brooklyn, NY – 1947 The "NEW YORKER" from Pier 5, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1947. Captain Thomas Haughey operated her. She was built in 1912 and was originally owned by Captain Bill Clulo.
16DAUNTLESS, Brielle, NJ – 1947 The original "DAUNTLESS" from Manasquan River Yacht Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1947. This sturdy 48-footer was a Boston, MA fireboat purchased by the Bogan family in 1941 and converted for party boat fishing. Captain Andy Gilinski was at the helm. Later, she was sold to Captain Mel Noe and sailed as his "DOLLY N" from Ken’s Landing, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.
17PARAMOUNT III, Brielle, NJ – 1947 The "PARAMOUNT III" from Manasquan River Yacht Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1947. Johnson Brothers Boat Works built this boat for the Bogan family in 1939 at Bay Head, NJ. Captain John Bogan Jr. operated the "PARAMOUNT III" until the end of World War II. Captain Charles Fuchs then took over the helm. The "PARAMOUNT III" caught fire at her dock in 1948 (just after this picture was taken.) She was quickly repaired and renamed the "FALCON". Captain William Egerter Jr. then took over the operation of this vessel. Later, Captain Al Wirth purchased the boat and sailed her as the "FALCON" from Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.
18RANGER, Belmar, NJ – 1947 Captain John Kocsik's "RANGER" from Belmar Marine Basin, Belmar, NJ circa 1947. The "RANGER" was built in 1938 at Brooklyn, NY and she originally sailed from Perth Amboy, NJ before Captain Kocsik relocated her to Belmar, NJ. Notice the elegant lines of this vessel, and the artistry used in creating the bow flare. When you consider the tools and limited technology available during the era, the skilled marine carpenters of this generation were truly amazing. Photo Courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.
19SKIPPER, Belmar, NJ – 1947 Captain John Zeigler's "SKIPPER" from Belmar, NJ circa 1947. Like his brother’s vessel, the "DIANA", Captain John Zeigler built the "SKIPPER" on the banks of the Raritan River in New Brunswick, NJ in 1941. He built her with full–length planking that ran from the stem to the stern in one piece. The "SKIPPER" sailed from Belmar, NJ and she fished primarily for Blackfish. The US Navy appropriated the boat during World War II and operated her as a US Coast Guard coastal patrol boat (Captain Zeigler got the boat back at the end of the war.) Captain Dom Vitolo Sr. purchased the "SKIPPER" when Captain Zeigler retired and she became one of the premier Blackfish boats on the coast. Captain John Connell then bought the boat and sailed her from Viking Marina, Staten Island, NY. Finally, Captain John Potter purchased the "SKIPPER" and she now sails from Martha's Vineyard, MA. After sailing for more than 65 years, she has earned the designation as the oldest party boat currently in operation.
20BONITO, Atlantic City, NJ – 1948 Captain Lloyd Reeves' "BONITO" was built in 1931 at Forked River, New Jersey and she was the first boat to ferry tourists from Beach Haven, New Jersey to Starn's Pier at Atlantic City. Once the crowds became too large for this small vessel to carry, she joined the party boat fleet. Taken out of service in 1952, she was later scuttled off the coast of Atlantic City, and became what is known as the 'Lost Wreck'. Photo courtesy of Don Nyce.
21BUCKY, Cape May, NJ – 1948 The "BUCKY" was built in 1948 by F. W. Smith Boatyard at Bena, VA for Captain Lavallette Buck and originally sailed from Cape May, NJ. Captain Michael Buban later purchased the "BUCKY". He relocated the boat to Elizabeth, New Jersey and sailed her from there until 1997.
She last sailed the Great Lakes as the excursion vessel "PHILOMENA D" until she was dropped from documentation in 2005.
22FLYING CLOUD II, Brooklyn, NY – 1948 The "FLYING CLOUD II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1948. Built in 1901, she sailed from Sheepshead Bay under the command of Captain Henry Gunther Jr. She was powered by a four-cylinder Atlas diesel engine that produced her trademark 'chugging' sound. In 1960, Captain Fred Bird purchased the boat and moved her to Montauk, NY.
23LADY HILDA II, Brooklyn, NY – 1948 Captain Anthony 'Tony' Serio's "LADY HILDA II" from Pier 4 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1948. She was built in 1913 at Brooklyn, NY and in 1927 she sailed from Bronx, NY. Later that year, she was purchased by Captain Petrie and moved to Manhattan where she sailed from the East River at East 91st Street until 1936. However, it is unclear exactly when the "LADY HILDA II" joined the Sheepshead Bay party boat fleet. She continued to sail from Sheepshead Bay until 1959 when she was replaced by the "LADY HILDA III" and became a commercial fishing vessel. She was lost to an unknown cause in 1962.
24LITTLE BOLO, Atlantic City, NJ – 1948 The "LITTLE BOLO" sailed from Starn's pier in Atlantic City, NJ. Owned by Captain Frank DeBold Jr., she was operated by Captain 'Whitey' Conover. The "LITTLE BOLO" was built in 1934 at Arverne, New York. Photo courtesy of Don Nyce.
25MALABAR, Atlantic City, NJ – 1948 Captain Elwood Starn's "MALABAR" sailed from Atlantic City, NJ during the late 1940s and 1950s, and she was one of many boats in "Captain Starn's Fishing and Sightseeing Fleet". Charles H. Stowman & Sons of Dorchester, NJ built the "MALABAR" in 1929. She later became the commercial fishing dragger "DEFIANCE".
26SAND BAY II, Montauk, NY – 1948 The "SAND BAY II" returning to Montauk, NY with a catch of Sea Bass and Fluke circa 1948. The "SAND BAY II" was built in 1930 by Ernest Fielder of Bergen Beach Boat Works and sailed from Montauk, NY under the command of Captain Fred Schoenwandt. The "SAND BAY II" was later sold to Captain John Polley and the boat continued to sail from Montauk, NY until 1967 when she was dropped from documentation.
27SURVIVOR II, Island Park, NY – 1948 Captain Tom Griffenberg's "SURVIVOR II" from Island Park, NY circa 1948. Built in 1946 by Peterson Boatyard at Great Kills, Staten Island, NY, she sailed from the "Survivor Fishing Station" located on Empire Boulevard. She was sold in 1969 and relocated to Key West, FL where she sailed as the "MOTHER OCEAN". Photo courtesy of Captain Nick Manzari.
28TEAL, Perth Amboy, NJ – 1948 Captains Freddie and Eve Moore's original "TEAL" from Perth Amboy, New Jersey circa 1948. Built in 1928 at New Haven, CT, for George Bradley, the "TEAL" first sailed from Long Island, NY. In 1941, Charles Moore (Freddie and Eve Moore's father) purchased the "TEAL" and relocated her to Perth Amboy, NJ. The Moore family later relocated their business to Great Kills Harbor at Staten Island, NY, where the "TEAL" continued to sail. She became the first of a long list of "TEAL" named vessels owned by the Moore family during the next sixty plus years. Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.
29AMERICA, Brooklyn, NY – 1949 The "AMERICA" was owned and operated by Captain John 'Jackie' Michael and sailed from Pier 8 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. Built in 1927 at Brooklyn, NY, she first sailed from Sheepshead Bay as Captain Frank Schwarzbach's party fishing boat "FISHER". In 1962, she was sold and sailed from Sheepshead Bay as the "BROOKLYN". After that, she sailed as the "CAPT. RED" from Sheepshead Bay.
30DOLORES II, Brooklyn, NY – 1949 Captain Patrick 'Patsie' Zucco's "DOLORES II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1949. This is a very rare postcard of the "DOLORES II" and little is known about the boat. Built in 1922 at Astoria, NY as Captain Max Pollak's "IDA II", she sailed from Stahle's Pier at Canarsie, Brooklyn, NY. She became the "DOLORES II" in 1949, and was removed from documentation and dismantled in 1966. Postcard courtesy of Captain Tony 'Mo' Barbato.