Birdseye View of SHEEPSHEAD BAY, Brooklyn, NY – 1928
This view depicts the hustle and bustle present along Emmons Avenue during this era. Several restaurants were located on the piers, directly alongside the party boats. The converted steam yachts required the captain to 'ring the engine room' for reverse gear. If the engineer did not respond quickly enough, the bowsprit of the vessels would sometimes go crashing into through the restaurant windows. (Yikes!) During 1936 and 1937, the Works Projects Administration (WPA) replaced these piers and docks. The new piers were modern and made it easy for anglers to locate their favorite party boat, but the 'mystique' of Sheepshead Bay would be forever lost.