BAHRS' LANDING, Highlands, NJ – 1918
John and Florence Bahrs founded Bahrs' Landing in 1917 when they purchased a beached houseboat being used as sport fisherman's motel and a rowboat rental business along banks of the Shrewsbury River in Highlands, New Jersey. Jack and Flo soon started serving meals to the fisherman staying aboard the boathouse motel and also offered bait & tackle, a lunch shop, sold cigars, and had a river taxi service. A large dance hall is on the shore at the right in the photo. It was the beginning of what would eventually evolve into the now famous Bahrs' Landing Seafood Restaurant.