ELMAR, Brooklyn, NY – 1949
Captain Frank Rau's newly converted "ELMAR" from Pier 9, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1949. She was a World War II Subchaser built in 1943 at Dorchester, MA, as the "SC-1329". The "ELMAR" made her maiden voyage from Sheepshead Bay on July 3, 1949 along with her sister ship, Captain Fred Wrege's "EFFORT". A third World War II Subchaser, the "CHIEF", was also supposed to make its debut on this day, but was delayed until August, due to the unavailability of parts needed for her conversion. Photo courtesy of the Captain Fred Wrege and Captain Charles VanDerVoort families.