PILOT II, Brooklyn, NY – 1949
Captain Harry Phillips' "PILOT II" and Captain Otto Behensky's "SWANEE" at Pier 7, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1949. Ernest Fiedler built the "PILOT II" in 1937, and the "SWANEE" was built in 1938 at Patchogue, NY. The "SWANEE" would later be owned by Captain Fred Ardolino. Captain Ardolino later sold her to Captain Charlie Roth who relocated her to Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY where she sailed as the "WOODEN SHOE II". Notice the chevrons painted on the wheelhouse of the "PILOT II". The government appropriated many local party boats during World War II for service as costal patrol boats and each chevron represents a year of military service. Also, the "PILOT II" was a member of the Sheepshead Bay Boat Owners Association as indicated by the "S.B.B.O.A." painted on her overhang.