VICTORY, Brooklyn, NY – 1950
The "VICTORY" was one of four World War II sub chasers to sail from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY during the 1950s. Built 1943 at Detroit, MI as the US Navy vessel "AIR LAPWING", she was a prototype that never saw wartime action. At the conclusion of the war, the vessel was sold as surplus and converted as a party fishing boat. She was first owned by Captain Edward Clair and then by Captain Tred Abrams who later moved the boat from Sheepshead Bay to Montauk, NY. She returned to Sheepshead Bay in 1975 and briefly sailed as Captain Mike Scarpati's "RANGER IV". She ended her fishing career sailing as the "ROCKET" from Sheepshead Bay. Photo courtesy of John Cairns.