PALACE II, Hoboken, NJ – 1946
The "PALACE II" at the dock shortly after the Baletti family took possession of the boat in 1946. A converted 110-foot World War II US Navy SC-497 class Submarine Chaser, the "SC-1057", she was built in 1942 by Gulf Marine Ways, Inc. at Galveston, TX.
During World War II the original "PALACE" was appropriated by the US Government for service as a Coastal Patrol Vessel. During her wartime service she sustained considerable damage and was unable to continue carrying passengers for hire. As a result, the US Government awarded two US Submarine Chasers to the Baletti family as partial compensation for the damage sustained to the original "PALACE", one of them being the near mint condition "SC-1057".
One of the last military accomplishments of the "SC-1057" came on June 6, 1945 when she rescued all 66 survivors of the freighter "AYURUOCA" soon after the vessel sank off the New Jersey coast. (Local fishermen know it as the "Oil Wreck" and it still leaks small amounts of fuel after 70 years on the bottom.) Photo courtesy of Ed Keefe Jr.