TOURIST, New York, NY – 1945
The Circle Line tour boat "TOURIST" circa 1945. Built 1906 at Boston, MA as the steel hulled steam yacht "KEHTOH", she began party boat fishing in 1931 and sailed from Canarsie, Brooklyn, NY. Captain Edward Baletti purchased her in 1935 from Mr. John W. Hubbard and sailed her from Hoboken, NJ as the party boat "DIXIE". In March 1942, the US Navy acquired the boat and designated her as the armed Patrol Yacht (Coastal) "PYc-32", and assigned her to the 3rd Naval District. However, the Navy found her unsuitable for this duty and converted her to the Auxiliary Craft "YAG-14" at the Frank McWilliams Shipyard, Staten Island, NY. Assigned to the Navy Fleet Sound School at Key West, FL, she served as a training vessel for sonar operators until she was decommissioned and transferred to the War Shipping Administration, Maritime Commission; they sold her to the Circle Line Company of New York City in February 1945.