SKIPPER, Belmar, NJ – 1947
Captain John Zeigler's "SKIPPER" from Belmar, NJ circa 1947. Like his brother’s vessel, the "DIANA", Captain John Zeigler built the "SKIPPER" on the banks of the Raritan River in New Brunswick, NJ in 1941. He built her with full–length planking that ran from the stem to the stern in one piece. The "SKIPPER" sailed from Belmar, NJ and she fished primarily for Blackfish. The US Navy appropriated the boat during World War II and operated her as a US Coast Guard coastal patrol boat (Captain Zeigler got the boat back at the end of the war.) Captain Dom Vitolo Sr. purchased the "SKIPPER" when Captain Zeigler retired and she became one of the premier Blackfish boats on the coast. Captain John Connell then bought the boat and sailed her from Viking Marina, Staten Island, NY. Finally, Captain John Potter purchased the "SKIPPER" and she now sails from Martha's Vineyard, MA. After sailing for more than 65 years, she has earned the designation as the oldest party boat currently in operation.