DORIS MAY, Belmar, NJ – 1944
The "DORIS MAY" from Belmar, NJ circa 1944. Built in 1940 by Wheeler Shipyard at Brooklyn, NY, she was powered by twin six-cylinder Chrysler Crown gasoline engines. The "DORIS MAY" was owned and operated by Captain Tom Sweetman, and later by Captain Harry Pflug. She was sold in 1949 to Captain Jimmy Carves and became his "BELBOY II", and sailed from Great Kills, Staten Island, NY. She was sold again in 1950 and became Captain Edward Carroll’s "PELICAN" from Montauk, NY.
Sadly, the "PELICAN" capsized in the vicinity of Montauk Point, Long Island, on September 1, 1951 and 35 persons, including the Captain, lost their lives. At the time, boats like the "PELICAN" were not subject to inspection and certification by the US Coast Guard, but the tragedy was the catalyst for significant legislative changes.