GLORY, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY – 1940
A large crowd looks on shortly after the "GLORY" returned to Pier 5 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1940. The "GLORY" was skippered by Captain Jacob 'Chubby' Martin Jr. She was built in 1896 at Weymouth, MA as the steam yacht "INDOLENT". She began her fishing career in 1914 when she was purchased by Captain Harold 'Harry' Hansen and began sailing from Brooklyn's west side. She relocated to Sheepshead Bay in 1915. In 1922, Captain Hansen sold the "INDOLENT" to his son-in-law, Jacob 'Jake' Martin Sr., who would rename her as the "GLORY". In 1932, Captain Martin went on to own and operate the larger steam yacht "SACHEM" and passed the helm of the "GLORY" to his son, Captain Jacob 'Chubby' Martin Jr.