YANKEE DOODLE II, Jersey City, NJ – 1940
Captain Russell Tonks' "YANKEE DOODLE II" circa 1940. Built in 1912 as the "M.J.R. II", she originally sailed from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY under the command of Captain Fred Wrege. Sold in 1917 to Captain Charles Vreeland, she was renamed the as the "YANKEE DOODLE II" and continued to sail from Sheepshead Bay. Sold again in 1930, the "YANKEE DOODLE II" sailed for one season from the Long Branch Fishing Pier at Long Branch, NJ. In 1931, the vessel was moved to Jersey City, NJ and she operated for the next year as a ferry for construction workers who were building the Pulaski Skyway.
Captain Russell Tonks purchased the "YANKEE DOODLE II" in 1939 and returned her to party boat fishing, first from Jersey City, NJ and later from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. Over the years, the Tonks family owned and operated many "YANK" named vessels and the "YANKEE DOODLE II" is the origin of that name. Photo courtesy of Skip Tonks.