NAUTILUS II, Brooklyn, NY – 1939
The "NAUTILUS II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1939. She sailed from Pier 7 under the command of Captain Frank Stefano. The "NAUTILUS II" was built in 1929 at Gerritsen Beach, NY. She sailed under the command of Captain Joe Stefano until he died in 1933 and his son Frank took over the helm. Later, she was sold to Captain Tom De Fina who continued to sail her from Sheepshead Bay. In 1969, she was sold to Captain Franklin Hammer who renamed her the "WHITBY". Subsequently, she would be the last vessel to sail under the "WHITBY" name from Sheepshead Bay. Photo courtesy of Captain Andrew Nazzaruolo.