FLYING CLOUD II, Brooklyn, NY – 1939
The "FLYING CLOUD II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1939. Built in 1901 at Patchogue, New York as the "MILDRED", she sailed as the "FLYING CLOUD II" from Pier 2 at Sheepshead Bay under the command of Captain Henry Gunther Jr. She was powered by a four-cylinder Atlas diesel engine that produced a trademark 'chugging' sound.
In 1960, Captain Bill McNamara purchased the boat and moved her to the Canarsie section of Brooklyn, New York. She was then sold in 1963 to Captain Fred Bird who relocated her to Montauk, New York. In 1977, Captain Bird replaced the boat with a larger vessel and her present fate is unknown. The FLYING CLOUD is currently the oldest continuous name in party boat fishing.