EVELYN, Brooklyn, NY – 1937
The "EVELYN" from Pier 2, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1937. This boat was for early birds; she sailed at 4:30 AM daily. She was originally named the "LINTA", a steam yacht built in 1892 at Nyack, NY. Captain Jacob 'Jake' Martin purchased her in 1911 and converted her for party boat fishing; she first sailed from the "Martin Brothers Dock" at Sheepshead Bay. She was sold to Captain Ted Alexander in 1935, and she continued to operate from Sheepshead Bay. When the federal government appropriated Captain Martin's "SACHEM" at the start of World War II, he repurchased the "EVELYN" as a replacement until the end of the war.