GLORY and SYLPH, Brooklyn, NY – 1933
The converted yachts "GLORY" and "SYLPH" are captured in this photo while steaming back to Sheepshead Bay from an 'Atlantic City Special' fishing trip in 1933. The "GLORY" was operated by Captain Jacob 'Chubby' Martin, and was built in 1896 at Weymouth, MA as the yacht "INDOLENT". Captain John Nugent operated the "SYLPH" and John Roach & Co., Chester, PA, built her in 1898. The "SYLPH" originally served as a Presidential Yacht; the US Navy commissioned her on August 18, 1898 at the Norfolk Navy Yard. She served in this capacity for Presidents McKinley (1898-1901), Roosevelt (1901-1909), Taft (1909-1913) and Wilson (1913-1921). In 1921, the Navy re-designated her as Patrol Yacht "PY-5" and she sailed on the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers. She joined the Sheepshead Bay fishing fleet shortly after the Navy decommissioned her in April 1929. Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.