NAUTILUS II, Brooklyn, NY – 1934
Captain Frank Stefano's "NAUTILUS II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1934. At the time, the boat departed daily from Pier 4. The "NAUTILUS II" was built in 1929 at Gerritsen Beach, NY and originally sailed under the command of Captain Joe Stefano until he died in 1933 and his son Frank took over the helm. Later, she was sold to Captain Tom De Fina who continued to sail her from Sheepshead Bay.
In 1969, she was sold to Captain Franklin Hammer who renamed her "WHITBY". Subsequently, she was the last vessel to sail under the "WHITBY" name from Sheepshead Bay until 1975 when she relocated to Chicago and operated on the Great Lakes. In 1980 she was again sold to a private owner who relocated her to Key West, Florida. Alas she was dropped from documentation in 2007 and her fate is unknown.