ANGLER, Brooklyn, NY – 1928
Captain Frederick Plage's "ANGLER" from Pier 11, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1928. Built as the "ELREBA" in 1898 by the Crescent Shipyard at Elizabeth, NJ for Pittsburg businessman Henry Darlington, she was a 125-foot steel hulled steam yacht. Powered by "two water-tube boilers and engines of the four-cylinder expansion type", she could cruise at 12 knots. The "ELREBA" was later sold to Captain Plage who renamed her as the "ANGLER" and converted her for party boat fishing. At the time, she was one of the many beautiful steam yachts to daily sail to the local fishing grounds. She even had a bronze eagle sculpture on top of the pilothouse.