SEA PIGEON, Brooklyn, NY – 1928
The "SEA PIGEON" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1928. Captain Steve Onody was at the helm at the time. She was built in 1902 at Oceanus, NY as a two-masted sailing schooner and started fishing in 1902 as an auxilliary schooner from Rockaway Beach, NY under the command of Captain John Carle. In 1913, Captain Patrick Donovan purchased the boat, installed a gasoline engine and sailed half-day fishing trips from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY.
In 1915, she was sold to Captain Charlie Frieberger, who operated her until 1919. She was then sold to Captain Frank Baumann, who continued to sail her from Sheepshead Bay. In 1927, Captain Steve Onody took over the ownership of the "SEA PIGEON".
In 1950, she was sold to Captain Marty Haines Sr., who moved her to Perth Amboy, NJ. In 1954, she was replaced by the "SEA PIGEON II" and sold. Her whereabouts today are uncertain.
Following the tradition, Captain Marty Haines Jr. operated the "SEA PIGEON IV" from Perth Amboy, NJ until 2007. The "SEA PIGEON" name is no more, but it was around for 105 years and until 2007, it was the oldest name in the party boat fishing industry.