BROOKLYN, Brooklyn, NY – 1932
Captain Henry 'Harry' Rigby's "BROOKLYN" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1932. The "BROOKLYN" was built by Captain Rigby in 1920 at (where else) across the street from the Sheepshead Bay fleet on Emmons Avenue at Brooklyn, NY.
When he retired in 1937, Captain Rigby sold the BROOKLYN" to Captain Frank Palachek, who sailed her until 1945. Captain Palachek then sold the boat to Captain Salvatore 'Sal' Dragonetti and she became his "CARRIE D II". She was again sold to Captain Jim Crispino and continued to sail from Sheepshead Bay as the "CARRIE D II" until 1979 when she was dismantled.
Ernest Tanare of Brooklyn, NY was the official photographer of the Sheepshead Bay fleet during the 1930s. He produced this postcard as well as many others we have on display at Mike's Maritime Memorabilia. Besides photographing the vessels and preparing advertisements, Mr. Tanare also attended and photographed many of the boatmen's events such as the annual holiday dinners and summer picnics. Postcard courtesy of Captain Tony 'Mo' Barbato.