SKIPPER, Belmar, NJ – 1995
The original "SKIPPER" circa 1995. She was built by Captain John Zeigler on the banks of the Raritan River in New Brunswick, NJ in 1941 and she fished primarily for Blackfish. She was built with full–length planking that ran from the stem to the stern in one piece. The "SKIPPER" sailed from Belmar, NJ. She was siezed by the Navy during Wolrd War II and used as a coastal patrol boat (she was returned to Captain Zeigler at the end of the war.) Captain Dom Vitolo Sr. purchased her when Captain Zeigler retired and she became one of the premier Blackfish boats on the coast.
Captain John Connell then bought the boat and sailed her from Viking Marina, Staten Island, NY. Several years ago, the "SKIPPER" was purchased by Captain John Potter and now sails from Martha's Vineyard, MA (that's where this picture was taken.) After sailing for more than 70 years, she has earned the designation as the oldest party boat currently in operation.