MATTIE, Gerritsen Beach, NY – 1966
The "MATTIE" was built 1946 by Peterson Boat Yard at Staten Island, NY as the "THERESA L." Like the "BRONISLAW III", she also fished with groups of orphan children from Mount Loretto Orphanage, Staten Island, NY. Notice the Nun standing in the center of the stern. According to rumor, a Sister was assigned to each vessel and she was equipped with a ruler to measure the catch -- and maintain order. Ouch! Photo courtesy of Tom Whitford.