WHITBY, Brooklyn, NY – 1962
The "WHITBY" from Pier 8, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1962. Built in 1946 by Captain Sid Wilsey at Brooklyn, NY for Captain Franklin Hammer, she was one of the few 45-footers ever built with a steel hull. The "CHIEF" from Sheepshead Bay is in the background of the picture.
While it is hard to discern in this picture, the hull of the "WHITBY" is painted a dark green. This was a 'trademark' of the original "WHITBY", A.K.A. the 'Green Dragon'. The "WHITBY" was one of the oldest names in Brooklyn party boat fishing (the original "WHITBY" began sailing from Canarsie, Brooklyn in 1909.)