CHIEF, Brooklyn, NY – 1962
The "CHIEF" from Pier 5, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1962. Captains Phil Wright and Sid Wilsey operated her and they later sold her to Captain Harold Wrege. The "CHIEF" was a converted 110–foot World War II Subchaser and had four GM 6-71 diesels (she was built as the "SC-1355" in 1942 at Stamford, CT.) She sailed daily at 10:00 AM and most of her customers arrived by subway. Interestingly, the crew gave each customer an embroidered "CHIEF" towel to use as a fish rag during the trip. The crew also laundered the dirty towels in the on-board washing machine at the end of each day. Photo courtesy of Ken Ekberg.