REX, Brielle, NJ – 1959
The "REX" from Bogan's Brielle Basin, Brielle, NJ circa 1959. The 65-foot vessel was built for the US Army in 1944 by M/M (Messieurs) Davis & Sons, Inc. at Solomons, Maryland as the "T-180". The Bogan family bought the boat and converted her for fishing in 1949 and Captains James Bogan Sr., John Bogan III, Kurt Pretshnur and George Chapman operated the boat. After her stint as the "REX", she became Captain Norman Pearce’s "CHAPPIE IV". She is still sailing today from Wanchese, NC (as a dragger) and still carries the "CHAPPIE IV" name. Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.