PILOT II, SWANEE and YANKEE, Brooklyn, NY – 1959
This 1959 photo of Pier 7 at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY depicts Captain Harry Phillips' "PILOT II", Captain Otto Behensky's "SWANEE" and Captain Frank Palsgraf's "YANKEE". Ernest Fiedler built the "PILOT II" in 1937, the "SWANEE" was built in 1938 at Patchogue, NY and the "YANKEE" was built in 1944 at Bristol, RI as the US Navy Air Sea Rescue Boat "C-77463". Captain Harry Phillips was also a member of the Sheepshead Bay Boat Owners Association as indicated by the "S.B.B.O.A." painted on the overhang of the "PILOT II".
The "SWANEE" was later owned by Captain Fred Ardolino and then sold to Captain Charlie Roth and sailed as the "WOODEN SHOE II" from Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, NY.
The "YANKEE" was later relocated to Freeport, NY and sailed as the "RAIDER", and then as Captain Mike Abbaticchio's "CAPT. MIKE II" from Howard Beach, NY, before returning to Sheepshead Bay as the "RAINBOW".
A young Tom Marconi started his career as a mate on the "PILOT II" and Captain Phillips became his mentor and sold the business to him when he retired in 1974. In 1983, Captain Tom sold the "PILOT II" to the Blue Water Yacht and Fishing Club and it sailed as the "BLUE WATER" until 1995 when its documentation expired.