CHIEF, Brooklyn, NY – 1955
The partners, Captains Phil Wright and Sid Wilsey, bought this converted 110–foot World War II Sub Chaser to Sheepshead Bay in 1948. Built in 1942 at Stamford, CT as the "SC-1355", she sailed as the "CHIEF" every day at 10:00 AM from Pier 6. Later sold to the partners of Harold Wrege (Captain) and John and Joe Ecock (Mates), this vessel catered to customers who arrived at Sheepshead Bay by subway. Sold again in 1981, she is currently sailing from Baltimore, MD as the tour boat "MOUNT INDEPENDENCE". Photo courtesy of Captain John Bogan Jr.