PILOT II, Brooklyn, NY – 1955
Captain Harry Phillips' "PILOT II" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1955. Harry Phillips was a 'Master' inshore party boat captain who specialized in bottom and wreck fishing, and he did not need to go very fast or very far to fill angler's buckets on the deck of the "PILOT II" with blackfish, sea bass and porgies. Ernest Fiedler of Bergen Beach Boatworks built the "PILOT II" in 1937. (The yard was located at Mill Basin, Brooklyn, NY.) Notice the chevrons painted on the wheelhouse of the "PILOT II". The government appropriated many local party boats during World War II for service as costal patrol boats and each chevron represents a year of military service. Additionally, the "PILOT II" was a member of the Sheepshead Bay Boat Owners Association as indicated by the "S.B.B.O.A." painted on her overhang. Photo courtesy of John Cairns.