SPRAY II, Belmar, NJ – 1953
The "SPRAY II" from Belmar, NJ circa 1953. Captain Pete Saro Sr. operated the "SPRAY II" when this picture was taken. She was built in 1914 at Brooklyn, NY as Captain John Michaels' "AMERICA" from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. In 1948, Captain Pete Saro Sr. purchased her and moved her to Belmar, NJ. In 1961, Captain Fred Kern purchased the "SPRAY II" and continued to sail her from Belmar, NJ under the same name.
Many Belmar, NJ party fishing boats had neon advertising signs in the 1950’s up until the late 1960’s including the "SPRAY II" (it’s above the pilothouse in the picture), the "CHIEF II", the "BOBBY II", the "GERTRUDE H", the "LENNY", the "MISS BELMAR", the "OPTIMIST" and the "SEA JET". The docks at Belmar must have been a remarkable sight at night back then. Photo courtesy of Captain Fred Kern.