JERSEY, Brielle, NJ – 1954
The "JERSEY" from Brielle, NJ circa 1954. When this picture was taken, Captain Thomas Bogan was at the helm. Built in 1943, she originally was a World War II Higgins-built Patrol Torpedo Boat, the "PT-305". She was originally 78 feet in length, and US Coast Guard regulations at the time required vessels over 65 feet to sail with a captain and an engineer. In 1953, the Bogan family purchased the boat and shortened her to 64 feet 11 inches to circumvent the costly regulation. In 1963, she sailed for one season as Captain Bill Egerter 's "DAUNTLESS" from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and in 1964 she was sold to Captain Joe Burns and became his "MAN O' WAR" from Point Pleasant, NJ. She is currently undergoing a full restoration at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, LA under her original name, "PT–305". Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan Sr.