GONE WITH THE WIND, Ocean City, NJ – 1952
During World War II, Vospers, a British shipbuilding company, arranged for several boatyards in the in the United States to build British-designed 70-foot Patrol Torpedo boats to help the war effort and this boat was one of them. Built in 1945 by the Annapolis Yacht Yard at Annapolis, Maryland as the US Navy Patrol Torpedo boat "PT-705", she was powered by three 1,500 HP Packard V12 gasoline engines with three shafts and had a top speed of 40 knots. This was also one of several PT boats originally intended for "lend-lease use" to the Soviet Union, but the end of the war precluded the transfer. As a result the "PT-705" was sold as surplus in 1946 and was converted to the private yacht "CAROL-FLO".
She was then converted to a party fishing boat and sailed as the "GONE WITH THE WIND" from Ocean City, NJ. She later sailed from Johnny's Dock in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ as Captain John DeRose's "WANDERER". After moving to Sheepshead Bay and sailing as the "APACHE IV" for several years, she last sailed as the "ATOMIC" in 1987. The boat was dismantled in 1988.