ANGLER, New York, NY – 1892
Now that's what we call being railed! The "ANGLER" (shown here during a 'non-fishing' trip) was a triple-decker steamboat that sailed on a regular schedule from Manhattan's East River to the fishing banks. This 166-foot sidewheeler was built in 1878 at Wilmington, DE as the excursion vessel "MARY MORGAN". She became the "ANGLER" in 1888 under the command of Captain Albert Foster. Captain Foster was one of the first true deep sea party boat captains and pilots. He was responsible for locating and naming several of the New York Bight's best fishing grounds including "Seventeen Fathoms".