WHITBY, Brooklyn, NY – 1909
The original "WHITBY" from Canarsie, Brooklyn, NY circa 1909. J.M. Bayles & Son, Port Jefferson, NY built the "WHITBY" in1882 as a luxury two masted sailing sloop. She was converted to a party fishing boat and sailed from Canarsie from 1909 through 1913. In 1913, Captain Frank Hammer Sr. purchased the "WHITBY" and relocated her to Sheepshead Bay in 1914. She later sailed as the "MARY ANN" and she was finally dismantled in 1955. An interesting aside about the boat’s construction is that the builder used wooden fasteners to secure the hull planking to her hull frames.