ANGLER, New York, NY – 1905
The "ANGLER" is seen here departing Manhattan's East River underway to the local fishing banks. This 166-foot side-wheeler was built in 1878 at Wilmington, DE as the excursion vessel "MARY MORGAN". She became the "ANGLER" in 1888 under the command of Captain Albert Foster. Captain Foster was one of the first true deep sea party boat captains and fishing pilots and is arguably the greatest party boat captain of all time. He was responsible for locating and naming several of the New York Bight's best fishing grounds including "Seventeen Fathoms".