DOLPHIN, New York, NY / Juneau, Alaska – 1904
The steamer "DOLPHIN" is shown backing out of her berth at Juneau, Alaska in 1904. She was built in 1892 at Wilmington, Delaware by Harlan & Hollingsworth as the deep sea fishing steamboat "AL FOSTER". At 215 feet in length and weighing 824 tons, she was the largest vessel ever built exclusively for party boat fishing. She sailed to the 'Deep Sea Fishing Banks' from New York City under the command of her namesake, Captain Al Foster.
After Captain Foster sold the vessel a few years later, it continued sailing to the fishing banks as the "FOSTER". The vessel was later purchased by the Loewer Steamboat Co, of New York, NY and sailed as the "DOLPHIN". In April of 1900, the vessel was purchased by the Alaska Steamship Company of Seattle, Washington for $100,000 and became a light cargo and passenger ferry operating between Seattle and Cape Nome, Alaska.
In 1920, the vessel was sold to an owner in Chile and lastly in 1923, she was purchased by the Mexican Navy who converted the vessel into the gunboat "PLAN DE GUADELUPE". She was scrapped the following year.