Pilot Boat NEW YORK, New York, NY – 1910
The pilot boat "NEW YORK" on station near the entrance to Ambrose Channel circa 1910. The pilot service in New York and New Jersey changed dramatically when the old sailing boats were replaced with the first steam powered pilot boat, the "NEW YORK".
The boat was built in 1897 for the Sandy Hook Pilots Association by the Harlan & Hollingsworth Company at Wilmington, Delaware and was 154 feet in length, had a 28-foot beam, with a mean draft of 13 feet. She was constructed of steel and fitted with 1,000 horsepower steam engines. The boat carried sixteen pilots plus a regular crew of captain, three mates, three engineers, a steward, a cook, two waiters, four firemen and six sailors. The captain, mates and sailors were all pilot-apprentices. There were two working boats, or yawls on deck on each side and to the rear of the iron deckhouse. The distinct derrick booms placed the fully manned yawls into the water in exactly five seconds and then the crew rowed to the ship and delivered the pilot.
The crew worked very hard and the hours were long, but the accommodations aboard the "NEW YORK" were luxurious. She remained in service as a pilot boat until 1952 when she was replaced by a more modern vessel. The flag lying from her rear mast was blue in color and indicated she had taken the assignment of bringing in a ship. The photo was likely snapped from the deck of that ship.