NEW YORK, Pilot No. 1 – 1927
The New York Sandy Hook Pilots Association's steam powered Pilot Boat No.1 "NEW YORK" on station near the entrance to Ambrose Channel. Built in 1898 at Wilmington, Delaware, she was the first vessel purchased by the newly formed United New York Sandy Hook Pilots Association (an 1895 merger of the Sandy Hook Pilots Association and the New York Pilots Association.) This merger was driven by the New York State Board of Pilot Commissioners because of the savage blizzard of 1888 (it caused the loss of nine vessels and the deaths of seventeen pilots from competing local pilot groups.) In 1934, the "NEW YORK" also rescued survivors at the scene of the "MORRO CASTLE" disaster, and actually took a line from the burning vessel in an attempt to tow her to safety.