Passaic River Light, Newark Bay, NJ – 1911
Not all lighthouses were built on the shoreline. The Passaic River Light guided boats through Newark Bay and the Passaic River in New Jersey and was in operation from 1848 until decommissioned in the early 1900s. In 1853, the lighthouse was equipped with one of the first Fresnel lenses deployed by the United States Lighthouse Board. A Mr. and Mrs. McCashan maintained the lighthouse and lived there, and they had a penchant for offering visitors bowls of blazing hot soup both winter and summer. Coincidently, both McCashans died from throat cancer. Photo courtesy of Captain Dave Bogan, Sr.