Ambrose Lightship – 1964
The "Ambrose" lightship on station at Ambrose Channel (NY) circa 1964. The US Coast Guard built this 128' steel vessel in 1952 as the "WLV 613" at the USCG Yard in Curtis Bay, MD. Her rotating illuminating apparatus was mounted on a 56' tall tripod foremast and the beam could put out as much as 5 million candlepower. She was stationed at Ambrose Channel from 1952 to 1967 and was replaced by a light tower. She then went on to tours as a relief vessel and at Nantucket Shoals (MA) until 1983. Picture courtesy of Ken Ekberg.