Old Orchard Shoal Lighthouse, Raritan Bay, NJ – 1990
The Old Orchard Shoal Lighthouse [40° 30' 44" N – 74° 05' 55" W] circa 1990. Located about three miles offshore from Staten Island in seventeen feet of water on the eastern end of Raritan Bay, the lighthouse was built in 1893 to serve in conjunction with the Waackaack Light Tower as range lights for boats using Gedney Channel (mariners aligned the lighthouse and the tower when leaving New York Harbor.) Constructed of cast iron with a brick masonry lining, it stands 50 ½-feet tall with a diameter of 33-feet and is a typical "spark plug" style conical tower lighthouse.
When Hurricane Sandy struck the area on October 29, 2012, it swept away Old Orchard Shoal Lighthouse, leaving behind just a mound of riprap and concrete.