Sandy Hook No. 51 lightship – 1900
The lightship "Sandy Hook No. 51" circa 1900. She was stationed at the head of the now–defunct “Gedney Channel”. Built in 1892 as the "Cornfield Point" lightship, she served in Connecticut until transferred to Sandy Hook, NJ station in 1894. She stayed at Sandy Hook until 1908 and was then assigned to relief duty. Ironically, she was on relief duty at her original assignment station off Cornfield Point, CT when she was struck by a vessel on April 24, 1919 and sank.