Ambrose No. 87 lightship – 1930
The original lightship "Ambrose No. 87" on station. Built in 1907 by the New York Shipbuilding Corp. of Camden, NJ for the newly opened Ambrose Channel entrance to New York Harbor, she stayed on station from December 1, 1908 to 1932. She was exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1965 and later presented to the South Street Seaport Museum by the USCG in 1968. Notice the large bell on the foredeck, the vertical foghorn amidships, and men in the rigging.